Building Track... Another rookie question.

  • Fam. Evans
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2006
      Hello again, and thanks for all your patience with my rookie queations, and
      long silences...
      I'm hoping to start building my own 16.5mm track on my next project, but I'm
      having trouble finding suppliers and instructions/templates. I'm
      particularly wondering how to set up the blades so they stay in place when
      controlled by wire in tube. which direction should I look? I know the 7mmnga
      has some components but I don't know how what to order or how to use it! Any
      suggestions appreciated...

      Andy Evans
      Member 3167
    • David J. Elliott
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2006
        Try using miniature toggle or slide switches as the operating lever.
        David

        Hello again, and thanks for all your patience with my rookie queations, and
        long silences...
        I'm hoping to start building my own 16.5mm track on my next project, but I'm
        having trouble finding suppliers and instructions/templates. I'm
        particularly wondering how to set up the blades so they stay in place when
        controlled by wire in tube. which direction should I look? I know the 7mmnga
        has some components but I don't know how what to order or how to use it! Any
        suggestions appreciated...

        Andy Evans
        Member 3167

        scale or thereabouts
        2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although
        3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
        committee
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Alan Rogers
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2006
          ... And remember to include an omega loop in the actuating wire because it's
          almost impossible to match the throw of a switch exactly to the throw of a
          point. Including an omega loop allows the switch throw to be slightly longer
          and the excess taken up by the flexibility of the loop.

          Alan Rogers
          Member 1950

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2006
            Andy,

            Go and treat yourself to Iain Rice's book on track building, as near to
            a trackmaker's bible as you will get.

            Depends on how you want to make track, chaired or flat bottomed and
            spiked or solder to copper clad printed circuit board.

            Goggle for

            C & L Components and for Exactoscale for chaired

            Paragon who sell the Roy Link system, and Wrightlines for a Swiss
            system, both spike types.

            If you can get to Burton, there will be a demo of track making,
            otherwise find a local show with an EM society stand.

          • John Clutterbuck
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2006
              Hi Andy

              As Frank mentioned if you can get to Burton on May 20th I am running a
              demo, but I am also inviting people to have a go at making a small
              section of spiked track that you can take away with you.

              I will also have samples of points and will be happy to advise you on
              my methods (which you are welcome to ignore).

              Regards
              John
            • Vincent Bradley
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2006
                The popular method in the States is to use a single pole double throw
                switch, either slide or toggle, to provide the necessary tension for the
                blades. I personally find using Tortoise much easier and very reliable but
                I work on three large layouts witch use the switches to good effect. I
                believe there is a company supplying the brackets commercially but here we
                use Rix brackets and cut them for the switch.
                Vincent Bradley
                1707 Cincinnati

                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2006
                  HiJohn,
                  I'm coming to burton, to see your track making demo,I'm going to rebuild
                  my layout this winter with hand made track, so your way with points will
                  be useful to the winters work

                  regards
                  bob