India Ink Wash

  • David Layzell
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2006
      Solved the problem - Speedball Super Black India Ink mixes without trouble -
      I hope it helps someone else to know this. I was using Winsor & Newton, and
      Stephens brands and they just didn't work. Regards and thanks to all,
      another David losing bits of wood in the murky depths of his new stain mix

    • David Layzell

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2006
          This will doubtless be of limited use to the majority on this list but in the September 1977 edition of Railroad Model craftsman was a brief article by Wayne Wesolowski regarding his weathering 'Goop'. This was a base of isopropyl alcohol with black leather shoe dye added. I made some at the time in a 500 mil bottle and I still have half ot it left!
          I'm afraid that I have no idea whether black leather shoe dye can be got nowadays.

          Pat
          2286

        • hunslett
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2006
            I found some not long ago in a shoe repair shop. They had several
            different colors including black and brown. I made up the mixture but
            it really didn't do what I wanted. There was also a goop known as the
            sweet and sour mix using steel wool and vinegar. Great for rust
            effects.
            Vincent Bradley, Cincinnati
          • kevin_tidy
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
              David

              I am glad that you managed to get staining with the india ink. I
              too had a problem with the Windsor & Newton's ink this weekend,
              having always used their ink in the past.

              My wife however, is into "scrapbooking" and she uses inks in various
              colours. I "borrowed" some black ink and mixed it with iso propyl
              alcohol without any problem, as the ink uses an alcohol base.

              It is called "Adirondack" alcohol ink, and is a very strong colour.
              I diluted mine 1 drop to 10 of alcohol, giving a darkish grey, more
              alcohol would give a lighter grey.

              A local card making or scrapbooking shop, or a Google search should
              come up with supplies.

              Kevin Tidy
            • David Layzell
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2006
                Hi Kevin,

                Thanks for the info - it's good to have an alternative.

                Regards