Re: [7mm NGA] wagon wheels

  • dinas-junction@blueyonder.co.uk
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 13, 2006
      Roy

      I belive the spokes were "curly" to allow for contraction of the rim when
      cast. Alot of pulleys etc were also" curly"!

      David Charlesworth

    • John Mudd
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 13, 2006
        Same as today! Scruffy with half a dozen Nikons draped around his neck.

        John
        Retired Freelance !
        I am looking for a model of a railway photographer preferably in
        1960/70s clothing. Is anyone away of such a model?

        Thanks

        Pete
        Auckland
        New Zealand

        This group is:
        1 - for people interested in modelling narrow gauge railways in 7mm:1ft scale or thereabouts
        2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
        3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association committee

      • Brian Cameron
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
          I found Gibson wheels go out of gauge and lose their tyres when Peco
          started using them in their kits, don't know whether its the same now.

          Certainly steel axles are a problem for kadee couplings even when you
          add lots of weight which is why I use plastic ones - I'll make many
          cringe when I mention that most of my stock has the older style Peco
          plastic wheels.

          Thanks for the tip on the hornby wheels - are they atracted by the magents?

          Someone asked about nickel silver and stainless steel. NS is magnetic,
          stainless steel varies. It should be non-magnetic but much seems to be
          of a lower quality these days and is magnetic.

          Cheers,

          Brian Cameron
        • Roy Wood
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
            Hi Brian

            > I found Gibson wheels go out of gauge and lose their
            > tyres when Peco
            > started using them in their kits, don't know whether
            > its the same now.

            Yes they do. The last Peco kits I had (a month or two
            ago) used straight spoked not curly wheels

            > Certainly steel axles are a problem for kadee
            > couplings

            I think you'll find that the effect of the magnets on
            the axles is not that pronounced because they are so
            far above the magnet. I'm sure I'm right in saying
            that magnetic force decreases as a square of the
            distance away. It's the steel tyres of the Gibson
            wheels that cause the problem. I found this out the
            hard way by replacing the axles on a set with some 2mm
            dia brass rod. It made no difference at all! It just
            hadn't occurred to me that the tyres would be steel.

            > Thanks for the tip on the hornby wheels - are they
            > atracted by the magents?

            No. They are very slightly more coarse, too, which I
            think is perhaps not a bad thing. I set mine to
            finescale 00 standards 14.8mm back to back but am
            mindful of what someone else had said about wheels
            never being totally happy once their position had been
            disturbed.

            > Someone asked about nickel silver and stainless
            > steel. NS is magnetic,
            > stainless steel varies. It should be non-magnetic
            > but much seems to be
            > of a lower quality these days and is magnetic.

            Surely not. NS is an alloy very similar to brass and
            isn't magnetic at all. I agree with your statement
            about Stainless in that there appear to be magnetic
            varieties but I'm not sure what the cause is.

            regards
            Roy Wood
          • Brian Cameron
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
              Apologies, meant to say NS isn't, not NS is, should have re-read it
              before sending.

              NS is an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel.

              Cheers,

              Brian
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
                Actually it was silver steel I asked about, not nickel silver...I hope

                Apologies, meant to say NS isn't, not NS is, should have re-read it
                before sending.

                NS is an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel.

                Cheers,

                Brian

                scale or thereabouts
                2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
                although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
                3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge
                Association committee

                o+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+
                scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=f19Q3X9pY2AZp3CHkNWYZw>
                scale train
                Ho
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+tra
                in&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train
                &w5=Ho+scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=F6asK7Ix0wVnB74PfHY
                Ycg> scale model train
                Model
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Model+train+n+scale&w1=G+scale+trai
                n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&
                w5=Ho+scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=qBgsM4EoFI8MvQKulYZ_
                zQ> train n scale

                n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&
                w5=Ho+scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=xeLKBZkBSB-tQWBeD7HR
                nQ> scale model train
                Ho
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+trains&w1=G+scale+train&w2
                =Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=H
                o+scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=0ybvhtrqTgbqmDcSkOOP1w>
                scale trains
                Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho
                +scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=thUHjhzywK2ZJIYcShcTTQ>
                scale trains

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "7mmnga
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7mmnga> " on the web.

                _____

              • Stephen Cooper
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
                  sorry to bring bad news Silver steel is magnetic, Stainless depends on the
                  quality 'good' stuff is non-magnetic poor quality can be magnetic. (que
                  technical details from someone else) but hopefully this answers the
                  question

                  Steve
                • David Charlesworth
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 15, 2006
                    All

                    Nickel Steel is low in Nickel and is magnetic.

                    Nickel Silver is 50% Cu / 305 Nickel and Zinc is NON Magnetic

                    Silver Steel is High Carbon steel and is magnetic.

                    Austenitic Stainless steel -is 18%Cr 8% Ni and is non magnetic ( it's
                    the nickel wot makes it non magnetic

                    Ferritic Stainless Steel has high Cr but no Nickel and is magnetic.

                    Both Chrome and Nickel (especially nickel ) is very expensive so
                    Ferritic has become more common ( and would be good enough for us).

                    Hope this is of some help

                    David C

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 15, 2006
                      David,

                      Why didn't you mention this this afternoon?

                      Now, the technical question, which non magnetic version is available in
                      2mm diameter, and will it take to turning to pin points, and wear well?

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 15, 2006
                        Hi Frank

                        > Now, the technical question, which non magnetic
                        > version is available in
                        > 2mm diameter, and will it take to turning to pin
                        > points, and wear well?

                        The more important fact is that, from my own
                        experience, it won't make any practical difference
                        what you use for the axles. They are too far away from
                        the magnet for it to have any great effect. It's the
                        tyres that really count. Try it and see. Do what I did
                        and try a 2mm brass axle.

                        If Alan Gibson insists on using steel tyres, and he
                        does, the situation will just perpetuate. I phoned him
                        and asked him whether he would consider changing to a
                        non-magnetic tyre. He was most emphatic that the
                        process by which the tyre is fited to the wheel
                        depends on it being magnetic. I can't remember exactly
                        what the reason was - I think it may be that the
                        tyre was handled magnetically.

                        regards
                        Roy Wood
                      • David Charlesworth
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 16, 2006
                          Frank

                          You did not ask.

                          I can try my contacts for some stainless shaft material. It is not easy
                          material to turn/grind, do you have a drill sharpener ? I doubt if it
                          would wear out under model rail conditions.

                          David C

> [...]

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "7mmnga
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7mmnga> " on the web.

                          _____

                          scale or thereabouts
                          2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
                          although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
                          3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge
                          Association committee

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "7mmnga
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7mmnga> " on the web.

                          _____

                          scale or thereabouts
                          2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
                          although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
                          3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge

                        • Andrew Young
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 17, 2006
                            I've found that a coat of dirty black paint helps keep the tyre in place
                            (become more necessary with the wheel centres now being manufactured in a
                            lighter coloured plastic).

                            Can't help with the magnetic problem as don't use kadees.

                            Andy
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 17, 2006
                              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Young" <Pandaman@...> wrote:

                              > I've found that a coat of dirty black paint helps keep the tyre in
                              place
                              > (become more necessary with the wheel centres now being
                              manufactured in a
                              > lighter coloured plastic).
                              >
                              > Can't help with the magnetic problem as don't use kadees.
                              >
                              > Andy

                              Like Frank Sharp I regauge my wheels to suit 14mm gauge, thereby
                              disturbing the axle/centre shrink fit.
                              Before doing that I also take care to remove all traces of the
                              moulding runners and flash from the rear of the wheels - a few
                              seconds work with a sharp (no pun intended) craft knife as part of
                              the regauging process.
                              Once I'm happy that the wheels are to gauge and central on the axle I
                              secure them with a tiny drop of the thinnest superglue. Since having
                              a couple of tyres come loose some years ago I have also run a tiny
                              drop into the back of the tyre/centre interface - if there is any
                              looseness capillary action will draw the glue into the gap and
                              preempt the problem.
                              You do have to be sparing with the glue, just to avoid replacing the
                              moulding runners/flash with a blob of superglue!

                              Works without fail for me (famous last words!).

                              Adrian