RE: [7mm NGA] wagon wheels

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 13, 2006
      Roy,

      You are quite right, A G wheels do sometimes lose tread and wander in
      gauge. Great shame as they are some of the best looking wheels around.
      I'm on 14mm gauge for Welsh NG, so I'm regauging anyway. However firm
      the wheel may be on the axle, once you have moved it, it is never really
      secure.

      As a matter of course nowadays, I remove the treads, clean off the flash
      pip from the spokes and replace the rim using Araldite precision. Once
      set the wheels are returned to the axles, gauged, and then more Araldite
      used to create the 'boss' on the axle behind the wheel.

      Kadee magnets I shall have to live with, but if you can't, is silver
      steel or stainless steel magnetic?

    • dinas-junction@blueyonder.co.uk
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 13, 2006
        Roy

        I belive the spokes were "curly" to allow for contraction of the rim when
        cast. Alot of pulleys etc were also" curly"!

        David Charlesworth

      • John Mudd
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 13, 2006
          Same as today! Scruffy with half a dozen Nikons draped around his neck.

          John
          Retired Freelance !
          I am looking for a model of a railway photographer preferably in
          1960/70s clothing. Is anyone away of such a model?

          Thanks

          Pete
          Auckland
          New Zealand

          This group is:
          1 - for people interested in modelling narrow gauge railways in 7mm:1ft scale or thereabouts
          2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
          3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association committee

        • Brian Cameron
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
            I found Gibson wheels go out of gauge and lose their tyres when Peco
            started using them in their kits, don't know whether its the same now.

            Certainly steel axles are a problem for kadee couplings even when you
            add lots of weight which is why I use plastic ones - I'll make many
            cringe when I mention that most of my stock has the older style Peco
            plastic wheels.

            Thanks for the tip on the hornby wheels - are they atracted by the magents?

            Someone asked about nickel silver and stainless steel. NS is magnetic,
            stainless steel varies. It should be non-magnetic but much seems to be
            of a lower quality these days and is magnetic.

            Cheers,

            Brian Cameron
          • Roy Wood
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
              Hi Brian

              > I found Gibson wheels go out of gauge and lose their
              > tyres when Peco
              > started using them in their kits, don't know whether
              > its the same now.

              Yes they do. The last Peco kits I had (a month or two
              ago) used straight spoked not curly wheels

              > Certainly steel axles are a problem for kadee
              > couplings

              I think you'll find that the effect of the magnets on
              the axles is not that pronounced because they are so
              far above the magnet. I'm sure I'm right in saying
              that magnetic force decreases as a square of the
              distance away. It's the steel tyres of the Gibson
              wheels that cause the problem. I found this out the
              hard way by replacing the axles on a set with some 2mm
              dia brass rod. It made no difference at all! It just
              hadn't occurred to me that the tyres would be steel.

              > Thanks for the tip on the hornby wheels - are they
              > atracted by the magents?

              No. They are very slightly more coarse, too, which I
              think is perhaps not a bad thing. I set mine to
              finescale 00 standards 14.8mm back to back but am
              mindful of what someone else had said about wheels
              never being totally happy once their position had been
              disturbed.

              > Someone asked about nickel silver and stainless
              > steel. NS is magnetic,
              > stainless steel varies. It should be non-magnetic
              > but much seems to be
              > of a lower quality these days and is magnetic.

              Surely not. NS is an alloy very similar to brass and
              isn't magnetic at all. I agree with your statement
              about Stainless in that there appear to be magnetic
              varieties but I'm not sure what the cause is.

              regards
              Roy Wood
            • Brian Cameron
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
                Apologies, meant to say NS isn't, not NS is, should have re-read it
                before sending.

                NS is an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel.

                Cheers,

                Brian
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
                  Actually it was silver steel I asked about, not nickel silver...I hope

                  Apologies, meant to say NS isn't, not NS is, should have re-read it
                  before sending.

                  NS is an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel.

                  Cheers,

                  Brian

                  scale or thereabouts
                  2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
                  although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
                  3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge
                  Association committee

                  o+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+
                  scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=f19Q3X9pY2AZp3CHkNWYZw>
                  scale train
                  Ho
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+tra
                  in&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train
                  &w5=Ho+scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=F6asK7Ix0wVnB74PfHY
                  Ycg> scale model train
                  Model
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Model+train+n+scale&w1=G+scale+trai
                  n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&
                  w5=Ho+scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=qBgsM4EoFI8MvQKulYZ_
                  zQ> train n scale

                  n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&
                  w5=Ho+scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=xeLKBZkBSB-tQWBeD7HR
                  nQ> scale model train
                  Ho
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+trains&w1=G+scale+train&w2
                  =Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=H
                  o+scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=0ybvhtrqTgbqmDcSkOOP1w>
                  scale trains
                  Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho
                  +scale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=thUHjhzywK2ZJIYcShcTTQ>
                  scale trains

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "7mmnga
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7mmnga> " on the web.

                  _____

                • Stephen Cooper
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 14, 2006
                    sorry to bring bad news Silver steel is magnetic, Stainless depends on the
                    quality 'good' stuff is non-magnetic poor quality can be magnetic. (que
                    technical details from someone else) but hopefully this answers the
                    question

                    Steve
                  • David Charlesworth
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 15, 2006
                      All

                      Nickel Steel is low in Nickel and is magnetic.

                      Nickel Silver is 50% Cu / 305 Nickel and Zinc is NON Magnetic

                      Silver Steel is High Carbon steel and is magnetic.

                      Austenitic Stainless steel -is 18%Cr 8% Ni and is non magnetic ( it's
                      the nickel wot makes it non magnetic

                      Ferritic Stainless Steel has high Cr but no Nickel and is magnetic.

                      Both Chrome and Nickel (especially nickel ) is very expensive so
                      Ferritic has become more common ( and would be good enough for us).

                      Hope this is of some help

                      David C

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 15, 2006
                        David,

                        Why didn't you mention this this afternoon?

                        Now, the technical question, which non magnetic version is available in
                        2mm diameter, and will it take to turning to pin points, and wear well?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 15, 2006
                          Hi Frank

                          > Now, the technical question, which non magnetic
                          > version is available in
                          > 2mm diameter, and will it take to turning to pin
                          > points, and wear well?

                          The more important fact is that, from my own
                          experience, it won't make any practical difference
                          what you use for the axles. They are too far away from
                          the magnet for it to have any great effect. It's the
                          tyres that really count. Try it and see. Do what I did
                          and try a 2mm brass axle.

                          If Alan Gibson insists on using steel tyres, and he
                          does, the situation will just perpetuate. I phoned him
                          and asked him whether he would consider changing to a
                          non-magnetic tyre. He was most emphatic that the
                          process by which the tyre is fited to the wheel
                          depends on it being magnetic. I can't remember exactly
                          what the reason was - I think it may be that the
                          tyre was handled magnetically.

                          regards
                          Roy Wood
                        • David Charlesworth
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 16, 2006

                            You did not ask.

                            I can try my contacts for some stainless shaft material. It is not easy
                            material to turn/grind, do you have a drill sharpener ? I doubt if it
                            would wear out under model rail conditions.

                            David C

> [...]

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            * Visit your group "7mmnga
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7mmnga> " on the web.

                            _____

                            scale or thereabouts
                            2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
                            although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
                            3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge
                            Association committee

                            _____

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            * Visit your group "7mmnga
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7mmnga> " on the web.

                            _____

                            scale or thereabouts
                            2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
                            although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
                            3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge

                          • Andrew Young
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 17, 2006
                              I've found that a coat of dirty black paint helps keep the tyre in place
                              (become more necessary with the wheel centres now being manufactured in a
                              lighter coloured plastic).

                              Can't help with the magnetic problem as don't use kadees.

                              Andy
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 17, 2006
                                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Young" <Pandaman@...> wrote:

                                > I've found that a coat of dirty black paint helps keep the tyre in
                                place
                                > (become more necessary with the wheel centres now being
                                manufactured in a
                                > lighter coloured plastic).
                                >
                                > Can't help with the magnetic problem as don't use kadees.
                                >
                                > Andy

                                Like Frank Sharp I regauge my wheels to suit 14mm gauge, thereby
                                disturbing the axle/centre shrink fit.
                                Before doing that I also take care to remove all traces of the
                                moulding runners and flash from the rear of the wheels - a few
                                seconds work with a sharp (no pun intended) craft knife as part of
                                the regauging process.
                                Once I'm happy that the wheels are to gauge and central on the axle I
                                secure them with a tiny drop of the thinnest superglue. Since having
                                a couple of tyres come loose some years ago I have also run a tiny
                                drop into the back of the tyre/centre interface - if there is any
                                looseness capillary action will draw the glue into the gap and
                                preempt the problem.
                                You do have to be sparing with the glue, just to avoid replacing the
                                moulding runners/flash with a blob of superglue!

                                Works without fail for me (famous last words!).

                                Adrian