Re: [7mm NGA] Shay in U.K.

  • Ned Williams
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 8, 2006
      Concerning the Bilston Shay:
      My hunch is also that the photograph is taken at Bilston. As it says on the
      Shay website, this picture is from The Locomotive magazine of 1930 - and is
      just as it appears in that magazine - but without so much grainyness! I
      have never come across the picture locally but will contact the local expert
      on the history of the works to see if he has anything to say about it. Ray
      Shill's "Industrial Locomotibves of the West Midlands" (IRS handbook "WM)
      gives a potted history of the railway system with the Bilston works. There
      were also ng engines used withinn the complex.
      Ned Willliams

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 8, 2006
        David J. Elliott wrote:

        > Looking very closely at the right hand side I seee no buffers but possibly
        > the shaft of a knuckle.

        Even if it is a knuckle coupler, this might not prove the point. As I
        understand it this Shay was used to push cars of furnace charge (coke, ore &
        limestone) up to the blast furnace "high line". These cars could have been
        special "internal use only" types and so could have used non-standard
        coupling gear.

        Brian Rumary, England

        www.rumary.co.uk
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 13, 2006
          Please does anyone know of a source of 1:43 or 1:48 eagles. Preferably
          American bald variety, but willing to cross breed with Milliput and a
          sharp knife if necessary. I'm starting an American logging style
          trestle, and I'm looking for a nest in amongst the timber work. I have
          checked Andy Duncan and Derek Ascott's lists. Apologies for cross
          posting, but I will be asking elsewhere.

        • Stephen Dee
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 13, 2006
            Is this preparation for the AGM 2007?

            Stephen Dee, Shepshed, Leicestershire

            7mm NGA member 473
            trestle, and I'm looking for a nest in amongst the timber work.
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 13, 2006
              Shhh. Don't tell everyone! I'm hoping for eggs by then.

              trestle, and I'm looking for a nest in amongst the timber work.

            • martin feldwick
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 13, 2006
                I dont make eagles yet but thanks for the idea .I would like to make some
                figures for 1/48 logging type railroads but time is always the problem .I
                made all the HO ,O and S scale figs for 'Junes Small World" master
                patterns back in the eighties .I will add an eagle to the rather long list
                that awaits my attention in at least 3 scales .
                Martin
                www.trackpass.net

                On 2/13/06, Stephen Dee <groups@...> wrote:

                > Is this preparation for the AGM 2007?
                >
                > Stephen Dee, Shepshed, Leicestershire
                >
                > 7mm NGA member 473

              • McAdam, Grant
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 13, 2006
                  Hi Frank,
                  McKenzie Iron & Steel do American eagles in 1:48.
                  Regards,
                  Grant McAdam

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 16, 2006
                    Frank,
                    Easily done by rolling a piece of "Flymo" type modelling clay or
                    similar between your fingers and thumb! Making a sausage first to
                    close diameter of egg and then cutting off egg lengths!
                    But I don't have to tell you how to suck eggs, Do I? VBG!
                    ENJOY,

                    Chaz fropm Oz

                    --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Shhh. Don't tell everyone! I'm hoping for eggs by then.
                    >
                    > Frank

                  • stephen griffiths
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 16, 2006
                      In the UK most people use their "Flymo" to mow the lawn.

                      :-)

                      Steve G