RE: [7mm NGA] Shay in U.K.

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 8 3:06 AM
      I've had a quick look through some other photos on the site, it could be
      the Lima works in the background.

    • Ned Williams
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 8 3:22 AM
        Concerning the Bilston Shay:
        My hunch is also that the photograph is taken at Bilston. As it says on the
        Shay website, this picture is from The Locomotive magazine of 1930 - and is
        just as it appears in that magazine - but without so much grainyness! I
        have never come across the picture locally but will contact the local expert
        on the history of the works to see if he has anything to say about it. Ray
        Shill's "Industrial Locomotibves of the West Midlands" (IRS handbook "WM)
        gives a potted history of the railway system with the Bilston works. There
        were also ng engines used withinn the complex.
        Ned Willliams

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 8 10:32 AM
          David J. Elliott wrote:

          > Looking very closely at the right hand side I seee no buffers but possibly
          > the shaft of a knuckle.

          Even if it is a knuckle coupler, this might not prove the point. As I
          understand it this Shay was used to push cars of furnace charge (coke, ore &
          limestone) up to the blast furnace "high line". These cars could have been
          special "internal use only" types and so could have used non-standard
          coupling gear.

          Brian Rumary, England

          www.rumary.co.uk
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 13 8:52 AM
            Please does anyone know of a source of 1:43 or 1:48 eagles. Preferably
            American bald variety, but willing to cross breed with Milliput and a
            sharp knife if necessary. I'm starting an American logging style
            trestle, and I'm looking for a nest in amongst the timber work. I have
            checked Andy Duncan and Derek Ascott's lists. Apologies for cross
            posting, but I will be asking elsewhere.

          • Stephen Dee
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 13 11:24 AM
              Is this preparation for the AGM 2007?

              Stephen Dee, Shepshed, Leicestershire

              7mm NGA member 473
              trestle, and I'm looking for a nest in amongst the timber work.
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 13 12:36 PM
                Shhh. Don't tell everyone! I'm hoping for eggs by then.

                trestle, and I'm looking for a nest in amongst the timber work.

              • martin feldwick
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 13 12:48 PM
                  I dont make eagles yet but thanks for the idea .I would like to make some
                  figures for 1/48 logging type railroads but time is always the problem .I
                  made all the HO ,O and S scale figs for 'Junes Small World" master
                  patterns back in the eighties .I will add an eagle to the rather long list
                  that awaits my attention in at least 3 scales .
                  Martin
                  www.trackpass.net

                  On 2/13/06, Stephen Dee <groups@...> wrote:

                  > Is this preparation for the AGM 2007?
                  >
                  > Stephen Dee, Shepshed, Leicestershire
                  >
                  > 7mm NGA member 473

                • McAdam, Grant
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 13 2:42 PM
                    Hi Frank,
                    McKenzie Iron & Steel do American eagles in 1:48.
                    Regards,
                    Grant McAdam

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 16 3:00 AM
                      Frank,
                      Easily done by rolling a piece of "Flymo" type modelling clay or
                      similar between your fingers and thumb! Making a sausage first to
                      close diameter of egg and then cutting off egg lengths!
                      But I don't have to tell you how to suck eggs, Do I? VBG!
                      ENJOY,

                      Chaz fropm Oz

                      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Shhh. Don't tell everyone! I'm hoping for eggs by then.
                      >
                      > Frank

                    • stephen griffiths
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 16 4:35 AM
                        In the UK most people use their "Flymo" to mow the lawn.

                        :-)

                        Steve G