Are there any L&B stock kits or RTR available?

  • Martyn
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 22, 2006
      I have just joined this group, as having modelled in 009 and SM32, I'm
      thinking of trying 0-16.5. My particular interest is the Lynton &
      Barnstaple - can anyone suggest suitable kits (or possiobly RTR?) and
      suppliers/manufacturers?

      Also, what about 0-14 - is track / points / components commercially
      available, or would this have to be home-built?

      Many thanks,

      Martyn
    • John Clutterbuck
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 23, 2006
        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Martyn" <martyn@d...> wrote:

        > My particular interest is the Lynton & Barnstaple - can anyone
        > suggest suitable kits (or possiobly RTR?)and
        > suppliers/manufacturers?
        >
        > Also, what about 0-14 - is track / points / components commercially
        > available, or would this have to be home-built?

        Hi Martyn

        I don't know of anything RTR but there have been several kits
        available over the years, e.g. coaches and vans from Langley and Alan
        Gibson used to (and perhaps still does) produce a fine kit of the
        Manning Wardles. No doubt others will suggest further sources I have
        forgotten.

        L&B models also produced a very fine kit of Lyn in O-14 but it sold
        out quickly if I recall correctly. They also produced resin cast track
        panels for the Southern pattern track in 14mm gauge. I'm not sure if
        L&B models still trades or what their contact details are. Perhaps
        others will know.

        As to making O-14 track I have recently written some articles on this
        very subject in NG&I magazine: http://www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com
        - the final part is due out anyday. I would be happy to answer any
        questions you have about these.

        Regards
        John
      • Brian Rumary
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 23, 2006
          Martyn wrote:

          > Also, what about 0-14 - is track / points / components commercially
          > available, or would this have to be home-built?

          Roy Link makes components for light industrial pattern track in 0-14.
          However you still have to use these to make the track and points -
          there is nothing RTR like Peco.

          Paragon Narrow Gauge sell these 0-14 parts for Roy; their website is
          at: www.paragonnarrowgauge.co.uk/Catalogue/014.html

          Brian Rumary, England

          www.rumary.co.uk
        • Tony Spencer
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 24, 2006
            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "John Clutterbuck"
            <jclutterbuck2001@y...> wrote:

            > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Martyn" <martyn@d...> wrote:
            >
            > > My particular interest is the Lynton & Barnstaple - can anyone
            > > suggest suitable kits (or possiobly RTR?)and
            > > suppliers/manufacturers?

            I have posted a photo my L&B model of LYN made from the L&B Models Kit.
            The kits were originally supplied by David Nicholson who is also a L&B
            enthusiast. He also intended to bring out a full range of kits.
            Unfortunately or fortunately, which ever way you look at it, his other
            interest, and obviously source of income, has taken over and he can now
            be seen regularly demonstrating his DCC units from ZTC. Oh but there
            were twenty five hours in the day and we might persuade him to produce
            some more L&B stuff.

            Tony Spencer
          • DLTaylor
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 24, 2006
              Only 25 Tony? I reckon 36 might be more useful!
              Dave.

              --On 24 January 2006 08:59 +0000 Tony Spencer <janantone@...>
              wrote:

              Oh but there
              > were twenty five hours in the day and we might persuade him to produce
              > some more L&B stuff.
              >
              > Tony Spencer

            • DLTaylor
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 24, 2006
                Hi Tony,
                Super looking model, how did you motorize it? I had one of these kits but
                sold it unmade, as I realised I might never get around to building it.
                David Nicholson did bring out some of the promised kits, I remember seeing
                some of the coaches. Very nice they were too. It might be worth
                contacting ZTC to see if he has anything left
                Dave.T

                wrote:

                > I have posted a photo my L&B model of LYN made from the L&B Models Kit.
                > The kits were originally supplied by David Nicholson who is also a L&B
                > enthusiast. He also intended to bring out a full range of kits.
                > Unfortunately or fortunately, which ever way you look at it, his other
                > interest, and obviously source of income, has taken over and he can now
                > be seen regularly demonstrating his DCC units from ZTC. Oh but there
                > were twenty five hours in the day and we might persuade him to produce
                > some more L&B stuff.
                >
                > Tony Spencer

              • Tony Spencer
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 24, 2006
                  --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, DLTaylor <DLTaylor@e...> wrote:

                  > Only 25 Tony? I reckon 36 might be more useful!
                  > Dave.
                  >
                  > --On 24 January 2006 08:59 +0000 Tony Spencer <janantone@b...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > Oh but there
                  > > were twenty five hours in the day and we might persuade him to
                  produce
                  > > some more L&B stuff.
                  > >
                  > > Tony Spencer

                  Seven hours a week ought to be enough. Heck, with an extra 12 hours a
                  day he would be supplying RTR only. Then listen to the howls. Tony
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 24, 2006
                    <jclutterbuck2001@y...> wrote:

                    > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Martyn" <martyn@d...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > My particular interest is the Lynton & Barnstaple - can anyone
                    > > suggest suitable kits (or possiobly RTR?)and
                    > > suppliers/manufacturers?
                    > >
                    > > Also, what about 0-14 - is track / points / components
                    commercially
                    > > available, or would this have to be home-built?
                    > >

                    > Hi Martyn
                    >
                    > I don't know of anything RTR but there have been several kits
                    > available over the years, e.g. coaches and vans from Langley and
                    Alan
                    > Gibson used to (and perhaps still does) produce a fine kit of the
                    > Manning Wardles. No doubt others will suggest further sources I have
                    > forgotten.
                    >
                    > L&B models also produced a very fine kit of Lyn in O-14 but it sold
                    > out quickly if I recall correctly. They also produced resin cast
                    track
                    > panels for the Southern pattern track in 14mm gauge. I'm not sure if
                    > L&B models still trades or what their contact details are. Perhaps
                    > others will know.
                    >
                    > As to making O-14 track I have recently written some articles on
                    this
                    > very subject in NG&I magazine:
                    http://www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com
                    > - the final part is due out anyday. I would be happy to answer any
                    > questions you have about these.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > John

                    John is correct to sayb that there are no RTR items available.
                    In his review of kits he omits the PECO injection moulded kits for
                    van and open which are very much 'in L&B style' if not perfectly
                    accurate models of the relevant prototypes.

                    I talk to Dave Nicholson (now ZTC, ex L&B Models) regularly at shows
                    and he always professes his wish to resurrect the L&B side of the
                    business. However, I suspect that the 25 hour day syndrome applies,
                    as others have suggested. It is a shame because the kits were
                    amongst the best of their type and, as far as I could judge, as
                    accurate as available information allowed.

                    Adrian Gray
                    Trade Liaison Officer 7mmNGA
                  • Stephen Holland
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
                      SNIP
                      <<I don't know of anything RTR but there have been several kits available
                      over the years, e.g. coaches and vans from Langley and Alan Gibson used to
                      (and perhaps still does) produce a fine kit of the Manning Wardles.>>
                      Just had a look at the Alan Gibson website, http://www.scalefour.org/ag/ and
                      there is no mention of the L&B loco kits. Shame really, as one of them built
                      as 'Lyd' would have gone quite well with my FR stock. If I remember
                      correctly, there also used to be a Chivers whitemetal L&B kit to go on a
                      commercial (Bachmann?) chassis, but it did not have outside frames of course
                      and the valve gear would probably have been Walschearts (or completely
                      missing) instead of Joy.

                      Regards

                      Steve
                    • hunslett
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
                        For those interested in American lumbering there are several very nice
                        pictures in the February issue of Smithsonian. They were taken in the
                        Pennsylvania logging camps at the turn of the 19th century and have a
                        lot of useful detail showing life at that time. In case you are not
                        familiar with Pennsylvania logging it was very active and widespread.
                        Several geared engine manufacturers were located in Pa. The series
                        Pennsylvania Lumbering is still available and covers the whole state.
                        Take care,
                        Vincent Bradley, Cincinnati
                      • Brian Rumary
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 26, 2006
                          Stephen Holland wrote:

                          > Just had a look at the Alan Gibson website, http://www.scalefour.org/ag/ and
                          > there is no mention of the L&B loco kits. Shame really, as one of them built
                          > as 'Lyd' would have gone quite well with my FR stock. If I remember
                          > correctly, there also used to be a Chivers whitemetal L&B kit to go on a
                          > commercial (Bachmann?) chassis, but it did not have outside frames of course
                          > and the valve gear would probably have been Walschearts (or completely
                          > missing) instead of Joy.

                          Wrightlines now offer a proper chassis kit for the Chivers whitemetal body.
                          Their website is at: www.keykits.net

                          Brian Rumary, England

                          www.rumary.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 26, 2006
                            I have just posted some photos under Frank's Shays. There are 4 slightly
                            modified Bachmann Shays for you to see. Anyone of a nervous disposition,
                            or who doesn't like pretty girls should avoid looking!

                            ( It's O.K. Alan, they are decent..just.)

                          • blair_hobson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 27, 2006
                              Number 6 looks a bit close to the mark! Are you sure you can publish
                              it on a family site?!

                              Blair

                              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@y...>

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 27, 2006
                                Blair,

                                There ISN'T a number 6! They are all prime numbers.
                                The excitement has obviously affected your eyes, I shouldn't look again
                                if I was you!

                              • Tony Spencer
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 27, 2006
                                  --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@y...> wrote:

                                  > .
                                  > The excitement has obviously affected your eyes, I shouldn't look
                                  again
                                  > if I was you!
                                  >
                                  > Frank

                                  You obviously have a very interesting "scrap box" Frank.

                                  The term "Shays Longe" comes to mind

                                  Tony Spencer
                                • blair_hobson
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 28, 2006
                                    6th photo, then! (No 7 RH side!).

                                    Double checked and nothing wrong with eyes, though the light is
                                    fading, its getting darker, aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh!

                                    wrote:

                                    > Blair,
                                    >
                                    > There ISN'T a number 6! They are all prime numbers.
                                    > The excitement has obviously affected your eyes, I shouldn't look
                                    again
                                    > if I was you!
                                    >
                                    > Frank

                                  • Tony Spencer
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                                      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, DLTaylor <DLTaylor@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Tony,
                                      > Super looking model, how did you motorize it? I had one of
                                      these kits but
                                      > sold it unmade, as I realised I might never get around to building it.
                                      > > Dave.T
                                      >

                                      > --On 24 January 2006 08:59 +0000 Tony Spencer <janantone@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I have posted a photo my L&B model of LYN made from the L&B Models
                                      Kit.
                                      > > The kits were originally supplied by David Nicholson who is also a
                                      L&B
                                      > > enthusiast. >

                                      Hi Dave

                                      Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. The motor used was a
                                      portescap and it runs very sweetly.

                                      Tony