Introduction and a request

  • davidandcrenagh
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
      Hi all
      I am David Elliott, living in Victoria BC Canada. I spent 5 years in
      the early 60s at Bangor University whic helped to start my interest in
      NG railways. I managed to ride the Penrhyn twice before it closed and
      alsp was a volunteer on the TR.
      Now I mdel a variet of things. HOm Swiss, HOe Austrian and 07 2ft. The
      last is of course the Pernhyn and I am making up two loco kits, Lilla
      and a large Quarry Hunslet. These are to 14mm gauge and this leads to
      my request. Asource of materials for laying 14mm gauge bullhead track.
      If anyone can advise it would help.
      For interest BC had some 3ft gauge railways and still has 2. One is a
      Forest Museum line north of Victoria. The other is a portion of the
      White Pass and Yukon Railway which originaly ran from Skagway USA and
      Whithorse Yukon Canada
      David
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
        David,

        Welcome to the group.

        How are you managing the conversion to 14mm for the locos? I have
        several of the Agenoria kits to do, but I'm looking at making them true
        outside frames. Paul Martin at www.ngtrains.com
        <http://www.ngtrains.com/> does some frame etchings which can also be
        used with his gearbox to give a much lower speed. It also matters which
        wheels you use, there has been discussion in this group in the past as
        to whether Romford 14mm axles are for 14 mm or for scale 3mm, that is
        14.2 mm. Make sure the Romford wheels (if that is what you are using)
        are RP25 profile not the old 00 version which has altogether deeper and
        thicker flanges and will catch the chairs on track suggested.

        Regarding track, I'm using 4mm chairs and rail, but on wood sleepers.
        Rail and chairs from C & L Finescale, www.finescale.org.uk
        <http://www.finescale.org.uk/> , wood from www.hobby.uk.com
        <http://www.hobby.uk.com/> , part no PSP35. Brian Lewis at C & L will
        I'm sure do mail order, and I suspect similar wood will be available in
        Canada. You surely won't struggle for wood in BC! Sleepers are cut on a
        Minicraft circular saw, a little hobby thing, and stained with spirit
        wood stain. Chairs are ABS and stick OK with butanone (MEK) as long as
        you use a decent amount and keep the pressure on. Track gauges from
        www.keykits.net <http://www.keykits.net/> , follow link to Gilbert ?
        Creation. The gauges are for straight track, but if you make up a short
        length very carefully on a piece of thick styrene sheet you can make
        three point gauges from slot headed bolts and a bit of plate, using your
        bit of track to set the gauge, these will then automatically gauge widen
        on curves.

        If you're not a member of the association now is exactly the right time
        to join, current edition of Narrow Lines has an article on Lilla. You
        will also find Narrow Gauge and Industrial Modelling Review useful
        www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com
        <http://www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com/> . ,current edition has first
        of series of articles by John Clutterbuck on NG track.

      • David J. Elliott
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
          Agenoria kits come either for 14mm or 16mm, I got the 14mm version to be
          difficult (and correct) Frames come for both, just chose the right one. I
          found that it is possible to thread the cranks, put spacers on the threaded
          section of the axel and wind the cranks on, some locktite works wonders.
          They go together well and run well so far, instructions are good and I
          follow the Backwoods Miniatures suggestions on quartering. These are put one
          side on tight, put the first on the other side about at right angles and the
          put the last on to suit using the connecting rod to get it the same.
          Thanks for the web sites. The only problem with BC wood is it is not fine
          enough in grain unless I can find some Yellow Cedar. I may well use styrene
          for the ties (sleepers in English).
          Check http://david4010.fotopic.net/ for my UK NG photos, taken over 50
          years.
        • David J. Elliott
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 2005
            Could you give me the dimensions of the chairs you use? I have photos and
            dimensions of the originals at the Penrhyn but who like to knaow thw 4mm
            scale ones you have used.
            David

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2005
              Just a note to say that Tamiya has entered the military minatures field
              in 1/48 scale in a big way and that several other smaller manufacturers
              have followed. This will mean a lot of inexpensive accessories in a
              size we can use. Remember the military modelers usually model scenes
              with lots of stuff.
              In case anybody is interested I am working on a Pennsylvania logging
              layout in On3 using some Bachmann stuff as well as scratch built. I am
              convinced that the equipment looks much better with the wider gauge and
              higher couplers.
              Take care,
              Vincent Bradley
              Cincinnati, Ohio
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 17, 2005
                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "David J. Elliott" <theelliotts@s...>
                wrote:
                > Frank
                > Could you give me the dimensions of the chairs you use? I have
                photos and
                > dimensions of the originals at the Penrhyn but who like to knaow
                thw 4mm
                > scale ones you have used.
                > David

                They are 5.75mm x 3.2mm x 2.25mm high, moulded in high impact plastic
                which is fixed to wooden or plastic sleepers using DayWatPoly
                solvent. THey are, as Frank says, intended for 4mm scale standard
                gauge and designed for use with code 75 bullhead rail as supplied in
                the UK by C&L (who make the chairs) the SCelfour and EM Gauge
                Societies.

                I have tried this combination for Festiniog track and find that it is
                too light in appearance. True scale FR track can be built in 7mm
                using S scale code 95 bullhead rail but their whitemetal chairs are,
                frankly, very poor and not representative of either type of FR chair,
                nor the square PQR chairs that you might want.
                Now I have both eyes working properly again I am working on a master
                for casting suitable 7mm scale FR S-chairs (plastic master for low
                temp centrifugal casting w/metal chairs).

                Based upon first hand, literally, experience of both FR and PQR b/h
                rail and fittings I suggest that there is little difference in size,
                so the 4mm stuff is unlikely to satisfy you if you want strict
                prototype fidelilty. On the other hand, it provides a permanent way
                which is streets ahead of any proprietory track system and more
                prototypical for PQR and FR chaired track than anything in flat
                bottom.

                Hope that helps,

                Adrian

                Behalf Of

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17, 2005
                  Aidrian
                  I have measurements of all three PQR chair types, courtesy of the PQR trust.
                  If you need them I can let you have them. I agree that 4mm chairs will be a
                  little small but better than nothing!
                  David

                  They are 5.75mm x 3.2mm x 2.25mm high, moulded in high impact plastic
                  which is fixed to wooden or plastic sleepers using DayWatPoly
                  solvent. THey are, as Frank says, intended for 4mm scale standard
                  gauge and designed for use with code 75 bullhead rail as supplied in
                  the UK by C&L (who make the chairs) the SCelfour and EM Gauge
                  Societies.

                  I have tried this combination for Festiniog track and find that it is
                  too light in appearance. True scale FR track can be built in 7mm
                  using S scale code 95 bullhead rail but their whitemetal chairs are,
                  frankly, very poor and not representative of either type of FR chair,
                  nor the square PQR chairs that you might want.
                  Now I have both eyes working properly again I am working on a master
                  for casting suitable 7mm scale FR S-chairs (plastic master for low
                  temp centrifugal casting w/metal chairs).

                  Based upon first hand, literally, experience of both FR and PQR b/h
                  rail and fittings I suggest that there is little difference in size,
                  so the 4mm stuff is unlikely to satisfy you if you want strict
                  prototype fidelilty. On the other hand, it provides a permanent way
                  which is streets ahead of any proprietory track system and more
                  prototypical for PQR and FR chaired track than anything in flat
                  bottom.

                  Hope that helps,

                  Adrian

                  scale or thereabouts
                  2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although
                  3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
                  committee
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 17, 2005
                    David,

                    My interest is in modelling the pre-War FR, so PQR chairs are a bit
                    beyond my time frame!
                    Making the b****y S-chair pattern is hard enough, without getting
                    into square chairs as well!!
                    Thanks anyway.