Re: Om

  • hfackeldey
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
      I have been modelling in 0m for quite some time now. Originally, my
      modelling friends and I regauged H0 or 00 wheelsets (particularly
      Romford) by cutting the axles in the middle between the wheels and
      extending them with brass or plastic tubing.
      S scale wheelsets may also be used, but the Gibson S scale wheels are
      a bit on the narrow side. This may cause trouble depending on the
      track standards, particularly the flangeway.
      Addie-Modell (www.addie-modell.de) make 0m wheelsets with 13.5 and
      15.5 mm wheel diameter with both spoke and plain wheels. They are
      much more expensive than regauged 00 wheelsets or S scale, but the
      wheel thread is wide enough to avoid the abovementioned problems. The
      pinpoint axles fit the Gibson bearings.
      Modelling SNCV rolling stock should not be too difficult as far as
      the running gear is concerned - the steam locomotives even had
      covered valve gear. The difficult part would be the distinctive W
      irons on the four-wheel stock. A friend of mine is planning to have
      them etched (as well as the axlebox covers), but I don't know if he
      ever will get around to it.

      Hope this helps, Herbert

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "vannerley" <vannerley@a...> wrote:
      > I would be interested to hear from any members working in Om -
      > especially about sources for wheel sets but also to see what else
      might
      > be around in the way of running gear.
      >
      > 2284
      > David Vannerley
    • vannerley
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "hfackeldey" <Herbert.Fackeldey@g...>
        wrote:
        > I have been modelling in 0m for quite some time now ...>
        > Hope this helps, Herbert

        Thank you for the link and information, most grateful.
        Off to Belgium to do some field research on Friday - as well as have
        family holiday.

        > > 2284
        > > David Vannerley
      • Håvard H
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
          I dont remember if this link has been posted:
          http://www.schmalspur0.de/

          Its a nice site with lots of continental narrowgauge modelling.

          Regards,
          Håvard H
        • Rob Kievit
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 18, 2005
            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "vannerley" <vannerley@a...> wrote:
            > I would be interested to hear from any members working in Om -
            > especially about sources for wheel sets but also to see what else
            might
            > be around in the way of running gear.
            >
            > 2284
            > David Vannerley

            Hello David and others,

            How nice to hear from fellow 0m'ers on this Group! And what a
            coincidence. About a month ago I began browsing older issues of
            Narrow Lines, gradually realizing that I should never have quit as a
            7mmNGA member. The only thing that kept me outside was the paucity of
            0m coverage in the magazine and on this group. Maybe I will become an
            ex-lapsee now.

            I have an 0m layout which is Manx Electric-inspired. I know that the
            MER should be modelled as running on 21mm gauge, rather than 22.5,
            but I already had a metre gauge model tram built earlier, which I did
            not want to modify again.
            Take a look at the first ten pictures on
            http://spoornul.fotopic.net/c519964.html to give you an idea of my
            layout.
            I build my own track, including turnouts; I find the offerings of
            Fama/Utz/Roco insufficiently narrow gauge in appearance. The
            dimensions of sleepers and rail profile give too much of a standard
            gauge effect.
            Like others on this group, I often use h0 or 00 wheels on longer
            replacement axles (solid brass and, recently, steel, which is better,
            of course). My Bachmann trams run on their own wheels, with longer
            axles. The Gibson S wheels are beautiful, and to the correct gauge of
            course, but very narrow indeed. I fitted them to one trailer (Manx
            parlance for carriage), condemning it to a mainly static existence.
            Its bogies are compensated, not sprung, but my selfmade track is
            erratic in places. Hence, derailments.
            One other trailer has American 0n3 wheels with slightly increased b-t-
            b. Satisfactory.

            So far, so good. I'll stop here, before this post turns into a
            tentative Narrow Lines article. No - I didn't say that, did I?

            Rob Kievit
            Hilversum, The Netherlands
          • Michael Johnson
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 19, 2005
              Does anyone know if the Association email addresses are in use? I've
              sent three emails off to the membership address without reply. Also in
              the past I've sent emails off to one of the sales address without reply.
              Should I just revert to snail mail?

              Cheers,

              Michael