RE: [7mm NGA] Gold ore

  • DLTaylor
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 1, 2005
      Gerry and Frank,
      If I remember correctly, Dwyle-Flonking is a rather messy pub ritual that
      involves a group of people dancing round in a circle. Somebody in the
      middle acts as Flonker, equipped with a long-handled mop and a bucket of
      stale beer. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
      It would make a fascinating cameo scene on a layout, if you are looking
      for a model railway connection in all this.
      Dave

      --On 30 June 2005 17:47 +0100 Gerald Blaikie <geraldblaikie@...>

    • mattjcoleman@netscape.net
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 6, 2005
        Isn't this 'ore' thing a literary allusion? I seem to recall either from a play or a movie with this scene -- a man and his fiancee are in a punt near Cambridge and he has dropped his oar (7mm oar of course) and while drifting along shouts to another boat with a young man and two women. "Excuse me good sir, could you loan me one of your oars?" The other man shouts back "No way you bugger, they ain't no 'ores! One's me muvver and ones me sister." "And what's wrong wit the one in your boat?"

        With that bit of wretched humor aside we return again to the issue of what did gold ore look like when it was wrenched from mother earth. My dear departed father once owned stock in a flim-flam gold mining venture in Nevada (much to my mother's dismay.) Nothing good ever came of it other than he took me with him up to visit the site while it was in its brief (9-week) season of operation. The ore being extracted was quite dark and the first operation was a shaker table that moved the heavier ore to the bottom. This denser ore (again, still dark) was sent through a floatation basis and the dissolvable dirt was removed. What was left was a reddish brown concentrate that when examined closely showed some tiny flecks of gold. This was run through the stamping mill and again was run over a riffle pan. What was left was a reddish quartz with gold flecks and this was bagged and shipped to a specialty processor in Denver. Two large dumptrucks of raw ore produced approximately one grocery-bag size load of concentrate for the smelter.

        So, from a modeling perspective, if the mine wasn't close to the stamping mill, the raw ore might have been moved by rail but more likely, only the concentrate would have gone out on a passenger car, probably with a guard of some kind. On the Nevada Central, weekly gold concetrate runs were made with a single baggage car and a passenger car with armed guards at the very peak of operations. On the V&T the operation was similar and both were railroads serving multiple mines.

        Matt

        Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:58:46 -0400
        From: "jay" <j@...>
        Subject: Re: Digest Number 1107

        well, i don't think they're 'ores, i think they're sisters!

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:03:07 EDT
        > From: gwentrail@...
        >
        > I can simulate coal by using coal but I am a bit short of gold bearing ore
        > at
        > this time.
        > Can anyone describe what the raw output of a gold mine looks like, please?
        >
        > Of course a small sample would be deeply appreciated.
        >
        > Pat
        > 2286

        Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.