Powering Tin Turtles

  • charles schuster
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
      G'Day Folks!

      I have acquired a battered (body) Bachmann HO 49 Tonner, the one with
      two 4 wheel powered bogies/trucks. It was very cheap ( about 6pounds -
      $A15). The body had been stripped and was warped - fit for the junk
      box.But it runs very well. I used my pocket power source to test the
      mechanism.
      Could I use these "power Bugs" it to power a Wrightlines' Simplex
      Protected "Tin Turtles". Instead of using the rather expensive
      suggested Spud like mechanisms?
      I realise that the Bachmann unit is 2mm shorter but I don't think that
      will be seen. I would only be concerned about the balance of
      the "Turtle".
      Has any one used this approach?
      Any advice appreciated.
      TYIA
      Chaz from Oz.

      BTW I have taken to carrying a 'square' 9 Volt battery as a pocket
      power source,, the one with the 2 press stud connections about 15mm on
      the top, when hunting for HO/
      OO mechanisms. Just by putting the battery across the wheels usually
      tells me if the basket case locomotive is probably useful.
    • Charles Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        Chaz -

        First, where did the extra 5 tons come from? Or, is that the Aussie export
        version?

        Also, if you're interested, BVM makes the Midget kit designed for those
        power trucks.

        Charles

        > I have acquired a battered (body) Bachmann HO 49 Tonner, the one with
        two 4 wheel powered bogies/trucks. It was very cheap ( about 6pounds -
        $A15). The body had been stripped and was warped - fit for the junk
        box.But it runs very well. I used my pocket power source to test the
        mechanism.
        Could I use these "power Bugs" it to power a Wrightlines' Simplex
        Protected "Tin Turtles". Instead of using the rather expensive
        suggested Spud like mechanisms?
        I realise that the Bachmann unit is 2mm shorter but I don't think that
        will be seen. I would only be concerned about the balance of
        the "Turtle".
        Has any one used this approach?
        Any advice appreciated.
        TYIA
        Chaz from Oz.
      • John Dennis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
          Charles,

          It was obviously a typo. Everybody knows that a 44-tonner is actually
          a 39-tonner in *real* tons, as opposed to the shortened form used in
          the US. <G>

          John

          On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:06:54 -0400, "Charles Hansen"
          <velotrain@...> wrote:

          >Chaz -
          >
          >First, where did the extra 5 tons come from? Or, is that the Aussie export
          >version?
          >
          >Also, if you're interested, BVM makes the Midget kit designed for those
          >power trucks.
          >
          >Charles
          >

          >> I have acquired a battered (body) Bachmann HO 49 Tonner, the one with

          John Dennis jdennis@...
          Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
          and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
          Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
          WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html