Sentinels

  • chriskrupa2000
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2005
      When I scratch built my Sentinel a few years ago, I found as many
      published photographs as I could (and there are quite a lot of them)
      in the industrial picture and history books. I rapidly came to the
      conclusion that no two locomotives were alike. Despite the rebuilds,
      modifications and delapidations that they had obviously received at
      the hands of their various owners, there seemed to be lots of variety
      in footplate shape, cab profile, chain guards etc. There are also
      several types of Sentinel boiler which vary in detail but not in
      basic design. Whilst there are not many left in locomotives, the same
      boiler was fitted to road lorries and there are lots of them around
      to look at still.

      Unless you can find pictures of the particular locomotive you want to
      model, then you will be modelling a generic rather than a specific
      machine. For the freelancers amongst us this is ideal since you can
      pick and choose from the features which you like or which are easiest
      to model (for example chain guards to conceal lack of working
      sprockets).

      The Wrightlines kit, which is the same type I built in plastic, is an
      ideal locomotive for industrial use being found in all sorts of
      industries. As far as I know though, it was never supplied for
      passenger use anywhere in the world - the more enclosed 'railway
      type' being preferred for that use.

      Chris