Rick Richardson

  • ianj0trains
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2005
      All,

      I have to sadly advise the passing last Saturday of one of the
      pioneers in On30 modelling, and one the most influential narrow gauge
      modellers of all time, Rick Richardson.

      Some of the longer serving members of the Association will remember
      Rick from a few articles he wrote in Narrow Lines, plus the occaisonal
      article in the NG&IRM Review. He was also written up in American
      publications, and had visitors come to see his layout from all over
      the world.

      Ricks emotional life ended approximately two years ago with the death
      of his life long love and partner Tup, he subsequently suffered a
      stroke which left him quite debilitated, and then was struck with cancer.

      Over the last thirty years or so, many around the world were
      recipients of the most amazing letters on narrow gauge modelling and
      other topics penned by Rick, sadly the stroke left him unable to
      write, so even this he couldn't do for the last few years.

      Farewell Rick, you were an inspiration to many.

      Ian J

      PS Ricks layout, the Vulcan Vale, can be found at
      http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/vulcan/frameset.html
    • Pete
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 2005
        This is sad news, indeed, for the Australian - indeed global - modeling
        world.

        RIP Rick

        Pete Heininger

        Consultant

        Heininger Pty Ltd

        PO Box 159

        ALBION PARK NSW 2527

        Tel: +612/4257 8555

        Fax: +612/4257 8562

        Email: pete@...

        _____

[...]

        scale or thereabouts
        2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although
        3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
        committee

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • DLTaylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28, 2005
          Here, here. Although I never had any contact with Rick, I have been truly
          inspired by the Vulcan Vale, one of the finest examples of the "life's
          work" approach to the hobby.
          Dave.T

        • Vincent Bradley
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 28, 2005
            I have always been impressed with his ability to get to the heart of an
            issue
            and clearly express what needs to be done. He will be missed greatly.
            Vincent Bradley

            Here, here. Although I never had any contact with Rick, I have been truly
            inspired by the Vulcan Vale, one of the finest examples of the "life's
            work" approach to the hobby.
            Dave.T

            --On 28 April 2005 21:03 +1000 Pete <pete@...> wrote:

            > This is sad news, indeed, for the Australian - indeed global - modeling
            > world.
            >
            > RIP Rick

            > --- --
            >
            > Pete Heininger
            >
            > Consultant
            >
            > Heininger Pty Ltd
            >
            > PO Box 159
            >
            > ALBION PARK NSW 2527
            >

            > Tel: +612/4257 8555
            >
            > Fax: +612/4257 8562
            >
            > Email: pete@...
            >

            > _____

          • Larry Rickert
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
              Rick was an inspiration and a true pioneer in O16.5/On30 model railroading.
              Does anyone know what happened to his beautiful layout? It would be a shame
              if it wasn't preserved.

              Larry Rickert (2815)
              Brooklyn, NY, USA
              lrickert@...
              http://profiles.yahoo.com/lhrickert

              "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
              nothing."
              Edmund Burke

              Over 2000 model railroaders can't be wrong! Check out:
              http://pw2.netcom.com/~lrickert/On30/On30.html
              and join the Conspiracy!
            • John Dennis
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
                Larry,

                Nothing has happened to the layout, so the Vulcan Vale still exists,
                in its shed, in Rick's backyard. The big problem is that the layout
                is going to be impossible to remove from the building - in fact the
                building relies on the layout for support as much as the more
                traditional approach of the building supporting the layout.

                If (big if) the layout is to be preserved it will be only by lifting
                the building, layout and all, and taking it to another site.

                Rick's sons are contemplating the feasibility of this at the moment.

                John

                On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:38:57 -0400, "Larry Rickert"
                <lrickert@...> wrote:

                >Rick was an inspiration and a true pioneer in O16.5/On30 model railroading.
                >Does anyone know what happened to his beautiful layout? It would be a shame
                >if it wasn't preserved.

                John Dennis jdennis@...
                Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
                and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
                Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
                WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html