New look RSS feed

  • John Clutterbuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      With the new look on Yahoo groups it seems some groups I am a member
      of have the ability to supply RSS feed which is shown by an XML button
      with 'whats this' next to it. However this group does not have it.

      I see no obvious settings that would indicate why some groups have it
      and some do not, so assume it must be something that only group owners
      can change.

      RSS feed is a really useful facility for those like me who access the
      groups via a web browser (as I can't use pop3 from work), especially
      if you use a smart browser like Mozilla Firefox. Could I ask the
      owners to check if this can be enabled - it wont affect those who dont
      want to use it.

      BTW I would recommend that everyone switches to Mozilla Firefox
      (http://www.mozilla.org) as it is free, far faster and infinitely more
      secure than Internet Explorer and with the AdBlock extension you can
      block all those annoying ads so it gets even faster.

      Regards
      John Clutterbuck
    • Rob Kievit
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005
        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "John Clutterbuck"
        <jclutterbuck2001@y...> wrote:

        > With the new look on Yahoo groups it seems some groups I am a member
        of have the ability to supply RSS feed which is shown by an XML button
        with 'whats this' next to it. However this group does not have it.
        > I see no obvious settings that would indicate why some groups have
        it and some do not

        <<<SNIP

        John, Group,

        It says somewhere on Yahoo that RSS feeds are provided automatically
        with groups whose message archive is public. The public/non-public
        setting is set by the group owner. Messages in a public archive can be
        read by anyone without having to log in as a Group member.
        The 7mmnga Group's Messages are not public, so there is no RSS feed -
        as yet.

        Group members who are new to RSS may find the explanation useful that
        is given at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3223484.stm .

        I have only recently begun to experiment using SharpReader, which
        alerts me if new messages are posted on another Group I am a member of
        (the 7mm group). So far, I am pleased. I tried the Awasu RSS reader,
        but that has a bewildering array of options. Trying to become familiar
        with all of those costs valuable modelling time...

        I would favour making our messages public and having the associated
        RSS feed.

        Rob Kievit, Hilversum, NL
        (whose modelling time is divided between 7mm and 0n3/0-22.5)
      • Alan Rogers
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
          Having had a thorough look through the settings for the group, I have
          been unable to find anything relating to RSS feeds.

          If there are any moderators of other groups on the list that can supply
          help, hints or pointers, please respond direct to 7mmnga-
          owner@yahoogroups.com

          Regards

          Alan Rogers
          Group Moderator
          &
          Association Postmaster
        • post@7mmnga.org.uk
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
            Straight from Yahoo! Message Help:

            [Q: Why is there is no RSS feed for my group?]
            [A: Since RSS is used as a way to read/aggregate public content on the web,
            this feature is only available for groups with messages set to public (no
            membership required)]

            As this is a membership-only group, and moderated at that, there will
            therefore be no RSS feed made available at present.

            Apologies to those for whom this information may be a disappointment but,
            based on bitter previous experience, we are not now going to compromise the
            appropriate content of this group by making it more publicly available.

            Further discussion, with any disagreement please backed up by verifiable
            reasoning or personal experience, is invited to post@... or
            7mmnga-owner@yahoogroups.com please - not to the group, where such replies
            will just be deleted.

            Comment from moderators of other Yahoo! Groups or those with experience of
            RSS feeds would be especially welcome, while 'because I want it' or similar
            replies will just be ignored.

            The subject is definitely not closed, just taken off-group, in order that
            narrow gauge modelling can continue unabated for those not interested in RSS
            feeds.

            Regards

            Alan Rogers
            Group Moderator