Re: [7mmnga] NGG16 (fwd)

  • afkent
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
      Yes, the design of the chassis is similar to that of the k1.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
        Dave,

        I bought two at EXPONG - mine is predictably still in its box.

        The other one went to a friend in Denver and its already running on his
        layout built to 0n2 [not 14mm but 1/2" gauge

        I know that doesn't exactly help but if no one else offers the info I'll
        open mine up and take a look.

        Paul Martin
        PS Dave, the answer to the question you sent directly is yes, 2-3 weeks for
        delivery

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
          Thanks for the info on the NGG16 kit, I am hoping to get one but (a) it
          will be too big for my layout , and (b) I've just spent that much money
          getting the car through the MOT.
          Sorry about all the test messages yesterday, the problem seems to be fixed
          now, it was at the Yaboo end, not mine.
          Dave.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
            Does anyone know of a book(s) or magazine article(s) on the NGG16,
            particularly as in use in South Africa. I'm thinking of buying the kit
            but need enough info to do it right.

          • Trevor Marshall
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
              Hi Frank;

              On Jan 6, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Frank Sharp wrote:

              > Does anyone know of a book(s) or magazine article(s) on the NGG16,
              > particularly as in use in South Africa. I'm thinking of buying the kit
              > but need enough info to do it right.

              Sydney Moir wrote a superb book (published in the mid-1960s, I believe)
              called "Twenty Four Inches Apart", which tells the story of the Port
              Elizabeth-Avontuur line. I picked up a copy by searching online.

              Dayle Coombe runs an excellent web site with tons of photos of the
              NGG16s (and other South African rail in 2' and other gauges) at:
              http://satransport.moby302.co.za/SAR/SAR.html
              Prepare to spend a while looking through the photos - there's LOTS of
              material here.

              SAR Steam is another good site: http://www.sarsteam.com/
              John Young, the person who runs this site, also sells a set of plans
              for the NGG16s on CD-ROM - I've ordered a set, but have not yet
              received my CD so I can't give you an opinion on the material, but
              you'll find a description under "Drawing Sets" on the web site and you
              can download sample drawings.
              I believe John Young is also the owner of the "SAR-L" list at Yahoo.
              You'll find the group here:

              The Welsh Highland Railway has some NGG16s. You'll find information
              about them at these two sites, with photos:
              http://www.whr.co.uk/
              http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ml/whr/

              Finally, Narrow Gauge World issue #36 included three articles that
              featured the Garratts: an article on the WHR, one on the PE-Avontuur
              line, and one on the Alfred County Railway.

              > Frank

              Cheers!

              - Trevor in Toronto