Re: [7mmnga] NGG16 (fwd)

  • afkent
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
      Yes, the design of the chassis is similar to that of the k1.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
        Hi Dave:

        On Jan 5, 2005, at 5:09 AM, DLTaylor wrote:
        > Has anyone bought a Backwoods NGG16 Garratt kit yet? I'm interested
        > to know more about it, particularly the chassis design, is it the same
        > as the
        > K1 kit?
        > Thanks,
        > Dave.T

        I have one, although I have not yet started to build it (I'm collecting
        a few more tools first). I have looked through the box and read through
        the instructions a couple of times and I'm quite excited by what I see.
        I'm not familiar with the K1 kit, but the chassis for each end for the
        NGG16 is a fold up etching. One enlarges the axle holes with cutting
        broaches to get a snug fit for the axle bearings.
        Hope that helps.
        - Trevor in Toronto
      • Paul Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
          Dave,

          I bought two at EXPONG - mine is predictably still in its box.

          The other one went to a friend in Denver and its already running on his
          layout built to 0n2 [not 14mm but 1/2" gauge

          I know that doesn't exactly help but if no one else offers the info I'll
          open mine up and take a look.

          Paul Martin
          PS Dave, the answer to the question you sent directly is yes, 2-3 weeks for
          delivery

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
            Thanks for the info on the NGG16 kit, I am hoping to get one but (a) it
            will be too big for my layout , and (b) I've just spent that much money
            getting the car through the MOT.
            Sorry about all the test messages yesterday, the problem seems to be fixed
            now, it was at the Yaboo end, not mine.
            Dave.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
              Does anyone know of a book(s) or magazine article(s) on the NGG16,
              particularly as in use in South Africa. I'm thinking of buying the kit
              but need enough info to do it right.

            • Trevor Marshall
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
                Hi Frank;

                On Jan 6, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Frank Sharp wrote:

                > Does anyone know of a book(s) or magazine article(s) on the NGG16,
                > particularly as in use in South Africa. I'm thinking of buying the kit
                > but need enough info to do it right.

                Sydney Moir wrote a superb book (published in the mid-1960s, I believe)
                called "Twenty Four Inches Apart", which tells the story of the Port
                Elizabeth-Avontuur line. I picked up a copy by searching online.

                Dayle Coombe runs an excellent web site with tons of photos of the
                NGG16s (and other South African rail in 2' and other gauges) at:
                http://satransport.moby302.co.za/SAR/SAR.html
                Prepare to spend a while looking through the photos - there's LOTS of
                material here.

                SAR Steam is another good site: http://www.sarsteam.com/
                John Young, the person who runs this site, also sells a set of plans
                for the NGG16s on CD-ROM - I've ordered a set, but have not yet
                received my CD so I can't give you an opinion on the material, but
                you'll find a description under "Drawing Sets" on the web site and you
                can download sample drawings.
                I believe John Young is also the owner of the "SAR-L" list at Yahoo.
                You'll find the group here:

                The Welsh Highland Railway has some NGG16s. You'll find information
                about them at these two sites, with photos:
                http://www.whr.co.uk/
                http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ml/whr/

                Finally, Narrow Gauge World issue #36 included three articles that
                featured the Garratts: an article on the WHR, one on the PE-Avontuur
                line, and one on the Alfred County Railway.

                > Frank

                Cheers!

                - Trevor in Toronto