Wiring Conventions

  • Ron Mote
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2002
      Please forgive what may be a very basic question: is there a
      recommendation/convention regarding the wiring of a locomotive so that it
      may run on other peoples layouts in the same direction as their engines ?
      For instance which side of the loco should the insulated wheels be and
      should the engine go forward if the rail on that side is positive?
    • Vincent Bradley
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2002
        In the US there is a convention developed by the NMRA but it is often
        ignored by manufacturers. Since I am at work I can't remember it but
        if you would like I can EMail you tomorrow.
        Vincent

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2002
          Hi Ron,

          My copy of PSL's Book of Model Railway Wiring (by C J Freezer) says that the
          locomotive should move forwards when the right-hand rails positive (looking
          forwards from the cab of the locomotive). I can't think of any reason for a
          convention over which side the insulated/non-insulated wheels should go -
          providing the insulated ones are all on the same side!

          Hope this helps - it what I have done and I haven't had any problems with
          other people's rolling stock.

          Regards,

          Robin Edwards.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2002
            Ron

            Forgive me if others have already answered this question but, for what it's
            worth:

            The insulation can be on either side - it doesn't actually affect the way
            the model runs.

            UK convention is different to EU & US, just to add to your confusion. In the
            UK, if the right-hand rail is positive, the loco should go forward. When I
            say right-hand rail, this is the one on your right-hand if you were standing
            in front of the engine, facing away from it.

            Hoping this helps.

            Alan Rogers
            DreamGenius on the WWW
            Thin Controller on the SHIRly
          • David Leslie Taylor
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 19, 2002
              When I built my first loco, I wired it so that it
              went in the same direction as an rtr chassis that I was
              using at the time. So subsequent locos (and layout) were
              wired the same way round.
              On Charmouth I fitted an extra DPDT switch, to
              reverse the polarity, between the controller output, and
              the section switches. This proved most useful when a
              visiting loco turned up that was wired the other way round.
              Flick the switch, and the loco goes in the right direction.
              The main function of this switch was to make the
              layout ambidextrous. At shows it was operated from the
              rear, at home from the front. So flicking the switch
              ensured that controller and loco always went in the same
              direction, when the operator was facing the other way.
              The switch was underneath the layout, near the
              socket for the handheld controller, and the section
              switches were in a box on a wander lead, that could be hung
              front or back.
              I seem to have wandered from the original question,
              but that extra switch was a very useful dodge, which I
              highly recommend.
              Dave.T

              On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:51:44 -0000 Alan Rogers
              <models@...> wrote:

              > Ron
              >
              > Forgive me if others have already answered this question but, for what it's
              > worth:
              >
              > The insulation can be on either side - it doesn't actually affect the way
              > the model runs.
              >
              > UK convention is different to EU & US, just to add to your confusion. In the
              > UK, if the right-hand rail is positive, the loco should go forward. When I
              > say right-hand rail, this is the one on your right-hand if you were standing
              > in front of the engine, facing away from it.
              >
              > Hoping this helps.
              >
              > Alan Rogers
              > DreamGenius on the WWW
              > Thin Controller on the SHIRly