Re: [7mmnga] Digest Number 21

  • Steve Waterfield
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2000
      Hi Roger,
      Good to see you on the 7mm list. I was amused by your comments on the
      Japanese Narrow Gauge as aside from my 7mm NG modelling (part of Tidmeric
      Minerals team - at Telford a couple of weeks ago) and a small diorama 14mm
      gauge layout 'Petroc Quarries' I am also Secretary for the Japanese Railway
      Society, an interest I got into in the same way as yourself, in fact I am
      off to Yokohama again tomorrow. As you say, the ultimate in narrow gauge.
      Apart from the Cape gauge stuff however there were in the good/bad old days
      significant 'real' NG lines as well. Mostly 762mm gauge with a fair
      smattering of (mostly German) imports and of course the Kiso Forest lines
      with their American Shays. A lot of the NG lines were forest or mines based
      but there were also a few rural general carriers for agricultural and
      passenger traffic lasting up to the early 60's so diesel railcars and locos
      were to be found. In the suburban areas narrow gauge interurbans ran until
      quite recently, I think the last in the Kyoto area was part regauged about
      five or six years ago and the rest of the route abandoned. Information in
      English, especially on the true NG lines is almost non existent and it is
      very frustrating as there are lots of good books published.
      For anyone interested in Japanese Railways, especially the big fast on time
      variety our web site is worth a look at:
      http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~mt5h-nitu/jrs.htm

      Regards

      Steve Waterfield