Re: [7mmnga] Photography

  • Trevor Shaw
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 6, 2004
      Pat,

      Don't be put off. Digital cameras have done a lot for model railway
      photography in the last couple of years. Their advantages are:
      tremendous depth of field when manually set to small aperture; ability
      to get in where no SLR could possibly go; ability to see sideways if you
      buy a camera with a fold-out, swivelling LCD screen (almost restricts
      you to Canon, unless someone knows different.

      With the swivelling LCD screen, you can put your camera on the baseboard
      and take photos from a realistic eye level with your swivelling screen
      facing towards you so you can see what you are going to get. You can use
      the delayed shutter feature to set the thing off in 10 seconds and be
      sure there will be no shake.

      I'm currently in the market for a new camera and I'm inclined towards a
      Canon A95 which costs about 250. The Canon A80 has 4MP, manual controls
      and fold out screen and is remaindered by Comet etc. You might be lucky
      and find one for about 130.

      Finally, I don't understand this 300 pixels per inch that some editors
      insist on. One of my digital photos, taken with a Sony 2.1MP camera was
      on the cover of the 2002 Warley programme, cropped to about 1300 pixels
      wide and printed across the full width of the brochure -- 8.25in --
      which comes down to a bit more than 150 pixels per in. It looked good.

      Anyway, back to the original purpose of this mail. Don't be put off,
      Pat. Get yourself a digital camera and enjoy yourself. Digital cameras
      are easy stuff once you start to use them and get used to them. They can
      also take pictures of model railways in low light conditions -- layout's
      own lighting or room lighting -- provided you can get everything to stop
      while you take the photograph so as to allow an exposure time of 1/4 sec
      or so.

      Best wishes,

      In message <85.1c5138b1.2ee643c1@...>, Gwentrail@... writes

      --
      Trevor Shaw
    • woodcockdavid
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 11, 2007
        "Voie Libre" no.40 - janvier 2007 - has a picture on p15 of two bicycles - one a "gents", one
        a "ladies" - made up from a new etched-brass kit produced in 1:43.5 scale by Patrice
        Roussiale (rpi Sesame Rail). Unfortunately it does not give any price or further details and rpi
        does not seem to have a website. The bikes, nice "traditional" models, look first class in the
        photos and even have spokes!
        Patrice's contact details are:
        rpi Sesame Rail
        4 rue des Iris