Re: [7mmnga] Re: Use of SN3 track for On14

  • Ron Mote
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2002
      Peter

      Please do that - I find photographs of other peoples work very inspiring (if
      sometimes a little daunting!)
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2002
        Kelvin

        This sounds like a innovative solution to building an 0-14 layout, without having to scratchbuild the track, which does put off members trying this scale & gauge combination.

        When you have something to show for your efforts, I am sure the Editor of Narrow Lines would be delighted to receive an article and photos about how you went about it

        Good luck & welcome to the 7mm NGA

        Howard Martin
        Chairman
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2002
          I have posted two photos in the photos area of the group in the album
          named Peter Whitehead. The first wagon that I built is the Mercian
          resin kit which I found easy to construct. The second is based on
          the 5 ton standard van shown on page 11 of NL 128, the body and
          chassis are constructed of wood, and I will use compensated W irons,
          in case it warps. I am pleased with progress so far and will post
          further photos as it progresses.

          Peter Whitehead

          --- In 7mmnga@y..., "Ron Mote" <Ron.Mote@u...> wrote:
          > Peter
          >
          > Please do that - I find photographs of other peoples work very
          inspiring (if
          > sometimes a little daunting!)
        • Vincent Bradley
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2002
            I built a small test layout to try these standards and found them to be very good.  I have built in Sn3 and On14 using the
            same trucks etc.  Sn3 is a very viable scale in the US with Peterbuilt and others heavily supporting it.
            Personally I chose On16.5 because of the greater availability, at the time, of good working chassies.  A move I have never
            regretted.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2011
              Likewise, I have just rejoined the 7mm NGA after an absense of some years, and I was wondering exactly the same thing - there are some (well, Shinohara is the only one I've found so far) manufacturers of Sn3 (14.2mm) track, and Fast Tracks have jigs and kits available. Are these suitable for use with 7mm scale O-14 narrow gauge kits and rolling stock? 16.5mm gauge doesn't look good (to me) for 2ft gauge, and 14.2 may be easier to deal with than fully hand-built 14mm gauge track. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

              Regards,

              Martyn

              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Kelvin White" <kelvin@...> wrote:

              > Greetings
              >
              > I'm new to this list (having also just applied for 7mm NGA membership) although I'm not new to narrow gauge modelling, I had an article on Sn76cm modelling published in Model Trains International a couple of months ago.
              >
              > For now I've abandoned narrow gauge modelling in S to give way to temptation and try my hand at On14, there are just two many good kits around. I have a quantity of Sn3 track and turnouts which I want to use for On14 the track gauge is 14.28mm. Has anybody else used SN3 track ---any observations.
              >
              > Kelvin White
              > Oxford England
              > kelvin@...

            • Brian
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 19, 2011
                Martyn,
                I would dare anyone who could tell the difference from looking at track set
                to exactly 14mm. gauge as opposed to 14.2mm. gauge, obviously if you compare
                handlaid track to that of Shinohara then yes there is a difference, but it
                is really a question of what era are you modelling in and as in the case of
                2ft. gauge in Australia, the standard practice was always with the track
                burried up to the ball of the rain with dirt, so you could never see the
                sleepers, other then that at points where the chairs were exposed.
                Brian
                Qld. Aust.