New Member

  • simply.chloe
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 17, 2000
      Hi,
      Just joined the list and thought that I would introduce myself.

      My name is Roger Brown and I live just outside Gloucester, round the corner from Robin Edwards of 'Dyffryn' fame. As you can guess, we collaborate on many things, mostly railway orientated, but our wive's interest in horses sometimes encroaches on to our activities!

      You may recall my railway, it is Syreford Station, based on a Cotswold 'might have been'. It appeared in the May 1999 British Railway Modelling magazine.

      Syreford has been to over 50 exhibitions since first appearing in 1989 at the GMRC show as the 'layout under construction'. Robin has been my fellow conspirator and has helped me run the layout at all but 1 or 2 shows. I still have one or two bookings into 2002!

      I am currently working on plans for 'son of Syreford' which will be the next station down the line, Whittington. This will be able to run on its own or as an extension to Syreford. I thought I had the details sorted, but a trip to the Gala day at Amberley soon put paid to that and I am now trying to fit in the bottle type lime kilns that I saw there! Watch this space!

      Just spent 2 weeks in Japan for work, where I had to commute every day by train on the ultimate narrow gauge system!

      60 - 70 mph on overhead electric 3' 6'' gauge - on time, packed with people and trains every few minutes. Wonderful! My colleague went out earlier to a different part of the country and joined me via 350km on the Bullet Train - even faster, but then, that is on standard gauge.

      Look forward to talking to you all,

      Roger

      PS you may wonder at my E-mail address, but you try getting a sensible address with a common (sorry - popular) name like Brown. So, it is the name of my wife's horse on which I used to compete, but now my daughter rides her and does better, darn it!
    • meconicuk
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 2, 2013
        Peter.

        Thanks for the info on where the Gamle Carlsberg track plan can be
        found. I noticed there's an
        article on the layout in one of the archive editions on Narrow Lines.

        Mac

        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, peter page wrote:

        > Mac - and anyone else who's starting out -
        >

        > Get yourself a copy of the Association's 'Getting Started' and 'Small
        Layouts' Handbooks. Gamle Carlsberg is one of the layouts featured, with
        a track plan, in 'Small Layouts'. Bob Machin deals with Handbook Sales.
        His contact details are in Narrow Lines.

        > 0e is the European 1:45 scale equivalent of 0-16.5 (1:43.5) and 0n30
        (1:48). They all run on 16.5mm gauge track, but the differences in scale
        can sometimes be significant