Query - "Polar Bear" Loco

  • Dave Balcombe
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
      Has anyone got any info on Polar Bear (The electric loco NOT the Bagnall) from the Groudle Glen Railway?

      Trying to find a decent side-on shot and some specs.

      Thanks in anticipation

      Dave Balcombe 2518

    • Dave Balcombe
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
        That's the picture that's got me started on this! LOL

        Dave Balcombe 2518

        have you looked at:
        http://www.iomguide.com/right-photos.php?303

        not side-on but good clear view

        Tony D. Wood
        Aleestrasse 7
        CH8734 Ermenswil
        Switzerland
        Tel:(+41) (0)55 534 7991
        Mobile: (+41) (0)788 973 874

        Email: Tony.D.Wood@... <mailto:Tony.D.Wood@...>

        <mailto:Tony.D.Wood@...>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Dave Balcombe
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
          Could cause copyright problems. I'll have a look and pick up a copy.

          Thanks for the info though.

          Dave Balcombe 2518
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
            have you looked at:
            http://www.iomguide.com/right-photos.php?303

            not side-on but good clear view

            Tony D. Wood
            Aleestrasse 7
            CH8734 Ermenswil
            Switzerland
            Tel:(+41) (0)55 534 7991
            Mobile: (+41) (0)788 973 874

            Email: Tony.D.Wood@... <mailto:Tony.D.Wood@...>

            <mailto:Tony.D.Wood@...>
          • Anthony Wood

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
                no worries, ISBN 1 871980 00 X

[...]

                Service.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • steveblackdog@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
                  Dave
                  Just in case you were not aware of it, the drawings in the Groudle Glen book
                  show the original BEV battery loco's which no longer exist. The one now
                  running on the railway is a new loco, converted from an old mine loco by Alan
                  Keef, I'm not sure how close a replica it is, but it certainly has the look of
                  the originals. I dont know if it has the same 2-4-2 wheel arrangement, it is
                  difficult to tell from the photo.

                  Steve Bennett

                • Laytham, Jeremy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
                    Hi Steve,

                    The new Keef built 'Polar Bear' is an 0-4-0 variation on the original
                    theme.

                    Cheers
                    Jeremy

                    Dave
                    Just in case you were not aware of it, the drawings in the Groudle Glen
                    book
                    show the original BEV battery loco's which no longer exist. The one
                    now
                    running on the railway is a new loco, converted from an old mine loco by
                    Alan
                    Keef, I'm not sure how close a replica it is, but it certainly has the
                    look of
                    the originals. I dont know if it has the same 2-4-2 wheel arrangement,
                    it is
                    difficult to tell from the photo.

                    Steve Bennett

                    DISCLAIMER:
                    This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.
                    Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.
                  • steveblackdog@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
                      jeremy.laytham@... writes:

                      Hi Steve,

                      The new Keef built 'Polar Bear' is an 0-4-0 variation on the original
                      theme.

                      Cheers
                      Jeremy

                      Thanks Jeremy, I did wonder. I took plenty of photo's before it was
                      converted, but not seen it since. I had a feeling it would still be an 0-4-0,
                      thanks for the confirmation.

                      Steve

                    • Dave Balcombe
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
                        Steve
                        I guessed that this must be a copy of the original. Still they really are very much alike. Apparently the original was 0-4-0, then altered to 2-4-2..then back! I'll probably do it 0-4-0, I can just about jam a "Spud" under it. The wheelbase will only be about 1.5mm over but I haven't got enough hairs to worry about splitting them.

                        It caught my eye 'cos it was rather quaint and besides on of the two (Polar Bear or Sea Lion) came off the track and rolled down the hill. After having made "Victoria" from the Plynlimon & Hafan, it seemed natural to "adopt" another broken loco.

                        I suppose I'll also have to think about building and re-gauging "Devon" from "Owd Ratty" - I have a pic of her doing a dead cow impersonation!

                        Dave Balcombe 2518