painting a model

  • douglebesteman@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2002
      Iam about to paint the Chivers Finelines kit DS40. It is a white metal kit with a Tenshodo SPUD. Is it possible to use auto primer for the whole model or should I use another kind of primer for the plastic Tenshodo SPUD. I am afraid that if I use an acrylic auto primer for the SPUD, the primer will attack the plastic shell of the SPUD. Who has the answer?
      Tjeerd Dougle  2278
    • David Leslie Taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2002
        An acrylic auto primer will not attack plastic
        (I must say though, I have never actually sprayed a Spud)
        It was the old type of cellulose paint that could damage a
        plastic surface. The auto paints were changed to acrylic
        because of the safety hazards of cellulose, and because
        many car parts are now plastic.
        I have always used car sprays on my models, and
        never had any problems with cellulose on plastic. when
        sprayed on lightly, it dried so quickly that there wasn't
        time to damage the surface. Anyway, very slight dissolving
        of the surface may have helped the paint to stick!
        There are still health hazards, make sure you spray
        out of doors, or in a VERY well ventilated room (a good
        through draught, not just an open window) and wear a
        respirator (quite cheap, from any decent DIY shop).

        On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:31:16 +0100
        douglebesteman@... wrote:

        > Iam about to paint the Chivers Finelines kit DS40. It is
        a white metal kit with a Tenshodo SPUD. Is it possible to
        use auto primer for the whole model or should I use another
        kind of primer for the plastic Tenshodo SPUD. I am afraid
        that if I use an acrylic auto primer for the SPUD, the
        primer will attack the plastic shell of the SPUD. Who has
        the answer? > Tjeerd Dougle 2278

        ----------------------
        David Leslie Taylor University of Exeter
      • B.Rumary
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2002
          wrote:

          > Iam about to paint the Chivers Finelines kit DS40. It is a white
          > metal kit with a Tenshodo SPUD. Is it possible to use auto primer
          > for the whole model or should I use another kind of primer for the
          > plastic Tenshodo SPUD. I am afraid that if I use an acrylic auto
          > primer for the SPUD, the primer will attack the plastic shell of the
          > SPUD. Who has the answer?

          Why leave the SPUD in place? Isn't easier to remove this from the kit
          body for painting?

          Brian Rumary, England

          http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm