Re: Beginner's kit

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2002
      --- In 7mmnga@y..., douglebesteman@t... wrote:
      > Hi there,
      > Is there someone who has got experience with the Agenoria Alice
      Class Dinorwic quarry Hunslett.
      > I think about buying this kit and want to know if this model is a
      so called "beginners kit".
      > This will be the 2nd loco kit that I build
      >
      > Greetings from a dutch member living in Germany
      > Tjeerd Dougle 2278

      I'm not sure what you mean by 'beginners kit'. The Agenoria Hunslet
      is an etched kit, using brass for the body and nickel silver for the
      chassis.
      The kit is very well designed and, I'm told, goes together well if
      you follow the instructions.
      The question is really whether you have experience with soldering
      metals - this kit is NOT suitable for building with glue.

      What was your first loco kit?

      Adrian Gray
    • Vincent Bradley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2002
        I have read that this kit is a good beginners kit. I agree with
        Adrian that it might be a good first etched brass multi-media kit
        but not suitable for a person with limited experience.
        Take care, Vincent 1707

      • martin4coombs@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2002
          I have this kit and on first inspection the quality looks very good. You get 8 x A4 pages of written instructions and prototype notes. 3 x A4 pages of exploded construction diagrams and one side view diagram at about 16mm scale.
          The kit is very crisply etched, white metal castings are very clean, nice lost wax castings for the cranks and cross heads. Also some nicely cast tools. Boiler and saddle tank are pre-rolled.
          I got mine with the motorising kit, all I've got to do now is make it, trouble is, after standard gauge it looks so darn fiddly.
          I have built a number of Agenoria's standard gauge kits and if they are anything to go by, this should go together nicely.
          However, If this is your first etched kit, I would try a wagon or coach first. But above all just get stuck in, if you get it wrong just heat it up until it falls apart and start again. If you get stuck, ask the group, I am sure one of us will know the answer.

          Martin Coombs
          1610

        • douglebesteman@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2002
            My first etched kit was a 7mm standard gauge class 08 shunter from oakville.
            I had some difficulties in forming the bonnet. The rest of this kit didn't I
            found very difficult although I had to change a couple of details because I
            wanted the dutch version of the model.
            In the meanwhile I have built a narrow gauge kit from Chivers Sines Lines,
            the Diema Ds40 for my son, A complete white metal kit wich I soldered up
            very easily.
            At the moment I am building a Peco slate wagon.

            Tjeerd Dougle 2278
            > > Is there someone who has got experience with the Agenoria Alice
            > Class Dinorwic quarry Hunslett.
            > > I think about buying this kit and want to know if this model is a
            > so called "beginners kit".
            > > This will be the 2nd loco kit that I build
            > >
            > > Greetings from a dutch member living in Germany
            > > Tjeerd Dougle 2278
            >
            > I'm not sure what you mean by 'beginners kit'. The Agenoria Hunslet
            > is an etched kit, using brass for the body and nickel silver for the
            > chassis.
            > The kit is very well designed and, I'm told, goes together well if
            > you follow the instructions.
            > The question is really whether you have experience with soldering
            > metals - this kit is NOT suitable for building with glue.
            >
            > What was your first loco kit?
            >
            > Adrian Gray

          • Paul Martin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2002
              Teerj

              I have built three of these little Hunslets to 16.5 mm gauge and I am
              building three more for 1/2 inch gauge.

              If you have soldered brass kits together before they are doable and most
              of it is easy.

              The two bits that cause me concern are: -

              The saddle tank - I hate making these up. They consist of a sort of
              preformed wrapper and three formers - the tank front, back and a middle.
              Each of these has to be soldered on with an alignment mark in exactly
              the right place as well as being true and flush. Once tacked in place
              the wrapper has to be forced around the formers and soldered as you go.
              The wrapper isn't formed to quite the right profile and is very springy.
              I have had it tear the soldered joint. In the end as I have several
              others to make I have invested the burnt fingers and bad language in
              making a very good job of one tank and I then intend to cast the others
              off it in resin.

              The dumb buffers. These are fiddly fold ups that involve more blue
              language and burnt fingers. With 4 per loco to do these are also getting
              done in resin.

              The 1/2 gauge engines have had their dummy outside frames made to work
              as you can't fit the inner frame in between the wheels at that gauge. I
              did the first one using the dummy frames provided but then I drew it out
              and am awaiting the return of a new etch any time now.

              At the end of all that have a go. Take it steady, read the instructions
              carefully (which is rich coming from me) and ask if you get stuck!

              Paul Martin
              EDM Models & 7mm NGA membership Secretary
              19 Briar Avenue
              Acomb,York.
              YO26 5BX
              England
              ricketrescue@...

              > > Is there someone who has got experience with the Agenoria Alice
              > Class Dinorwic quarry Hunslett.
              > > I think about buying this kit and want to know if this model is a
              > so called "beginners kit".
              > > This will be the 2nd loco kit that I build
              > >
              > > Greetings from a dutch member living in Germany
              > > Tjeerd Dougle 2278
              >
              > I'm not sure what you mean by 'beginners kit'. The Agenoria Hunslet
              > is an etched kit, using brass for the body and nickel silver for the
              > chassis.
              > The kit is very well designed and, I'm told, goes together well if
              > you follow the instructions.
              > The question is really whether you have experience with soldering
              > metals - this kit is NOT suitable for building with glue.
              >
              > What was your first loco kit?
              >
              > Adrian Gray

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • vrybacki
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 17, 2002
                If you don't fancy making up the etch for the dumb buffers,
                Wrightlines sell cast whitemetal ones - I have not tried this yet,
                but intend to whenever I get around to an Agenoria kit.

                Vic