Re: Narrow Gauge Segue

  • andybantock
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
      Alan

      A segue (prononced segway) is a term used in music radio to describe
      the (hopefully) smooth transition vetween two records (CDs or computer
      tracks nowadays). It's not quite 'mixing' where the exact beat is
      maintained in an almost seamless transition but is supposed to be a
      pleasant expereince rather than a jarring one.

      Some very diverse track naturally segue together and before the days
      of PC based playout systems took a lot of the creativity away from
      individual presenters, it was often a mark of a great DJ to be able to
      perform brillinat segues.

      Hey, it's not often that my work co-incides with my hobby!

      Andy Bantock
      2054

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
        Ah, but DJs pinched the term from us real musicians - literally translated
        as "followed" it does indeed refer to flowing seamlessly from one tune into
        another; or sometimes not so seamlessly ( I speak from experience........)

        Graham (NG modeller & bass player - though not necessarily in that order)

        PS before anyone else has a chance to mention it, I am aware of the shaky
        relationship between the terms "real musicians" and "bass player"......

        > A segue (prononced segway) is a term used in music radio to describe
        > the (hopefully) smooth transition vetween two records (CDs or computer
        > tracks nowadays). It's not quite 'mixing' where the exact beat is
        > maintained in an almost seamless transition but is supposed to be a
        > pleasant expereince rather than a jarring one.
        >
        > Some very diverse track naturally segue together and before the days
        > of PC based playout systems took a lot of the creativity away from
        > individual presenters, it was often a mark of a great DJ to be able to
        > perform brillinat segues.
        >
        > Hey, it's not often that my work co-incides with my hobby!
        >
        > Andy Bantock
        > 2054

      • Clark Womack
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
          At 08:52 PM 10/1/2004 +0100, you wrote:
          >Ah, but DJs pinched the term from us real musicians - literally translated
          >as "followed" it does indeed refer to flowing seamlessly from one tune into
          >another; or sometimes not so seamlessly ( I speak from experience........)
          >
          >Graham (NG modeller & bass player - though not necessarily in that order)

          This is true.
          Actually, the term has been around for many years, at least since the days
          of vaudeville.
          Clark Womack
        • David Leslie Taylor
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2004
            Graham,
            I thought that was drummers?

            On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:52:19 +0100 Graham Spencer
            <graham@...> wrote:

            > PS before anyone else has a chance to mention it, I am aware of the shaky
            > relationship between the terms "real musicians" and "bass player"......

            ----------------------
            David Leslie Taylor
            University of Exeter
          • Graham Spencer
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2004
              Drummers are just people who hang about with musicians, aren't they?

              > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:52:19 +0100 Graham Spencer
              > <graham@...> wrote:
              >
              > > PS before anyone else has a chance to mention it, I am aware of the
              shaky
              > > relationship between the terms "real musicians" and "bass player"......

            • Vincent Bradley
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2004
                Hi,
                I am looking into using Bmann side dumps on my 1/32 industrial layout but
                the wheel sets are very small and the axles are longer than normal. Has
                anybody put metal 12.5-14.0mm wheel sets on these without too much side
                play?
                Thanks,
                Vincent Bradley

                ---
              • ianj0trains
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2004
                  All,

                  It seems there is a 7mm NGA members jazz band out there just waiting
                  to be formed. As someone who can occasionally be found with an alto or
                  tenor sax hanging out of my mouth, I wonder if this predilection for
                  jazz music is due to it usually being performed in dark, smokey, and
                  dilapidated venues, not unlike hanging around in an engine shed.

                  Regrettably being located in Australia it would make it hard for me to
                  attend gigs if such a band was formed, but if anyone is interested in
                  a long winded gag entitled "never trust a trombone player," contact me
                  offlist.

                  Cheers

                  Ian J

                  > Drummers are just people who hang about with musicians, aren't they?

                • Stephen Dee
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 5, 2004
                    Perhaps they could entertain at the AGM/Convention!

                    Stephen Dee, Shepshed, Leicestershire

                    7mm NGA member 473

                    It seems there is a 7mm NGA members jazz band out there just waiting
                    to be formed.
                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
                    :HM/A=2376776/rand=853402124>

                  • DLTaylor
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2004
                      Well the Great Eastern had jazz trains, but not because they were
                      particularly musical.
                      Dave.

                      --On Tuesday, October 05, 2004 10:35 PM +0000 ianj0trains

                    • portwynnstay@talkgas.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 6, 2004
                        The Festiniog has a series of Jazz trains during the summer, and they are musical, a very pleasant way to spend a summer evening.
                        Phil T.

                        <ian.johnston@...> wrote:

                        > All,
                        >
                        > It seems there is a 7mm NGA members jazz band out there just waiting
                        > to be formed. As someone who can occasionally be found with an alto or
                        > tenor sax hanging out of my mouth, I wonder if this predilection for
                        > jazz music is due to it usually being performed in dark, smokey, and
                        > dilapidated venues, not unlike hanging around in an engine shed.
                        >
                        > Regrettably being located in Australia it would make it hard for me to
                        > attend gigs if such a band was formed, but if anyone is interested in
                        > a long winded gag entitled "never trust a trombone player," contact me
                        > offlist.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Ian J

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor