Re: Couplings

  • roy61uk
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 28, 2001
      --- In 7mmnga@y..., David Leslie Taylor <DLTaylor@e...> wrote:
      > Hi Peter,
      > The question of couplings is a wide ranging one,
      > and has been going on for years. In Association terms, it
      > was first raised in about edition 3 of Narrow Lines.
      > Nowadays there are many choices, most of which are
      > incompatible with each other. So there is no standard.
      >
      > I have always used the Airfix standard coupling,
      > which is a hook and bar, like Hornby, only being much
      > narrower, it is more like a chopper in size. More recently
      > I have acquired some Fleischmann (spell check please)
      > couplings which are similar in style, but much finer, and
      > more chopper-like in appearance. Both types work well
      > automatically, and are fully compatible with each other.
      > They have a drop arm underneath, so can be uncoupled
      > automatically using a ramp, if they are mounted low enough.
      > I model the larger lines, and mine are mounted quite high,
      > so I simply uncouple manually using a lifting paddle.

      Can anyone advise where to purchase the Airfix standard couplings as
      mentioned above.

      ********Happy New Year To all.**********

      Roy

      > I have looked at, but haven't used, the various
      > scale choppers available, the etched kits from the
      > Association and Branchlines, and the cast brass items from
      > Roxey Mouldings and Slaters. The all look good, especially
      > the cast ones. However, being scale models, the hook has
      > to engage in a narrow slot in the opposing coupling, and I
      > have doubts as to whether consistently accurate alignment
      > between vehicles could be achieved, to permit reliable
      > automatic coupling. Can anyone else comment????
      >
      > Kadees are very popular, and everyone who uses
      > them swears by them. The are automatic in coupling, and
      > uncoupling, and can be "advance" uncoupled, and the vehicle
      > pushed into position and left there. However, being a
      > "buckeye" style, they look a bit too modern to me,
      > especially for a British layout.
      >
      > I have heard of DG couplings, but I am not
      > familiar, so cannot comment. But I'm sure somebody can.
      >
      > Dave.T
      >

      > On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 08:49:55 -0000 steamingherd
      > <steamingherd@b...> wrote:
      >
      > > Has anyone any experience of automatic couplings for use in 7mm
      NG,

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > David Leslie Taylor
      > University of Exeter
    • Steve Bennett
      Message 68 of 68 , Apr 6, 2010
        Yes, the buffing plate is 8mm across, the body of the coupling though, is only 4.5mm. Once installed and painted, they are pretty difficult to see, between 2 wagons coupled together, they are almost invisible.
        Put them next to a Kadee No5 and it really brings home how small they are.
        Steve