chassis construction

  • BrianOnTrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2000
      Thanks Vic and Robin for your comments, I too would like to see the Hunslet
      2-6-2 become available as it is a fine looking locomotive. I also rather like
      the C&M 0-6-2 locomotive and might build it prior to the L&M 2-6-4. I had
      planned to scratchbuild a brass chassis for the C&M as it is less expensive,
      and more fun, to purchase the wheelsets and build the frame rather than try
      to fit a comercial chassis. In addition, the frame will be more accurate with
      correct axle spacing and detail.

      I am curious as to why British practice is to build an inside frame chassis
      with the axles and cranks protruding through a false outside frame. In the
      United States the practice when building an outside frame locomotives, such
      as the D&RGW K classes, is to build the chassis as per the prototype with a
      working outside frame. I can understand the British practice when using a
      proprietary chassis with a kit built or scratchbuilt body since it allows the
      use of a commercially available chassis, but using two frames for a
      scratchbuilt chassis or designing a kit for such seems redundant. Maintenance
      would not seem to be the reason since once the body is removed maintenance
      for either would be about the same. In any case, I'm open to all suggestions
      on how best to construct a chassis for the C&M 0-6-2. If anyone has built one
      of these locomotives I would be most interested in their experience.

      Brian
    • Victor Rybacki
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
        Yes it is odd that dummy outside frames are used.

        In the case of the Sierra Leone Hunslet, I believe this was
        originally designed for a proprietary inside frame chassis, and at a
        later stage re-issued with parts for the chassis in the kit to
        replace the proprietary chassis. Vulcan designed an inside framed
        chassis to replace the proprietary chaasis, for maximum
        compatibility, and added dummy outside frames.

        In the case of the Eagle chassis, used by Branchlines for their
        Woolwich Aresenal type Hunslet 0-4-0, I think a simliar story
        applies. This was designed as an inside framed chassis, and dummy
        outside frames available later.

        This is all conjecture though...

        I don't know about the Slaters L&M kit, or the Gibson L&B kits - do
        they have dummy outside frames ?

        I got part way through the Branchlines Hunslet and stopped while I
        try to figure out how to make the dummy outside frames removable. I
        don't like the idea of trapping the wheels between a dummy outside
        frame soldered to the load bearing inside frame. I prefer to be abe
        to take the chassis apart if I need to. Anybody got any ideas ?

        Vic