Bet this will upset a few!

  • bflude
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 17, 2004
      Hi all

      Just coming back to do some narrow gauge as a diverion from USA HO.

      I was just playing with a Wrightlines Simplex.

      My HO is DCC - I lifted the Simplex's bonnet and thought - I could
      get a decoder in there!

      Anyone using DCC with narrow gauge?

      Bill
    • nicholas brown
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 17, 2004
        hello Bill
        I am not using Dcc in Narrow Gauge but I would be very interested
        to hear how you get on, as it seems the way forward especially with
        sound.I understand Roy Link has a diesel with sound but it might
        not be DCC on his sandpit layout which I think he is showing at
        EXPO NG
        nick

        bflude <bflude@...> wrote:
        Hi all

        Just coming back to do some narrow gauge as a diverion from USA HO.

        I was just playing with a Wrightlines Simplex.

        My HO is DCC - I lifted the Simplex's bonnet and thought - I could
        get a decoder in there!

        Anyone using DCC with narrow gauge?

        Bill

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Quentin Hordle
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 18, 2004
          Bill
          I am also in the process of getting my loco stock
          together and plan using DCC. I have many Wrightlines
          Simplexs and figured that under bonnet will take the
          decoder. I think the new Lenz £10 decoder is possibly
          best as it is so small, and will drive either Kay's
          chassis or the spud with no problems.
          The challenge I have found is with the Baldwin, as it
          needs to run a motor that doesn't use the chassis as
          one pickup.
          I was talking to Kay about the DCC additions to her
          kits, especially with reference to the Simplex's, and
          she would be keen to hear of implementations to add on
          her website, for aiding other modellers.
          I must take some photo's when I actually undertake my
          installation.
          I say go for it, but take photo's if possible, as this
          is still a bit bleedin' edge, and many will benefit
          from the experience.

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 18, 2004
            Bill
            Also meant to say that ZTC, also make a new ZTC 217
            that is really small, in fact smaller than the Lenz
            LE0511A, and I think easier to fit.

            --- bflude <bflude@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            Hi all

            Just coming back to do some narrow gauge as a diverion
            from USA HO.

            I was just playing with a Wrightlines Simplex.

            My HO is DCC - I lifted the Simplex's bonnet and
            thought - I could
            get a decoder in there!

            Anyone using DCC with narrow gauge?

            Bill

          • Kevin Tidy
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 18, 2004
              Bill

              I am starting using DCC, and have Lenz equipment. If you do use their
              decoders I have found the following Yahoo group to be very helpful for
              advice: DigitalPlusbyLenz

              Kevin Tidy

              This e-mail may be read by employees of the Council and is therefore not to be considered private by the recipient. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily the views or opinions of Bracknell Forest Borough Council.

              This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the system manager. Email: mail.administrator@...

              This footnote also confirms that this e-mail has been swept by MailSweeper for the presence of computer viruses. Although the Council has taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free we advise that in keeping with good ICT practice the recipients should confirm this for themselves.

            • FRANK SHARP
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 18, 2004
                Bill, Kevin and All

                Most, if not all systems have a web site and an internet group. The
                group for your system is certainly worth belonging to, whatever problem
                you have, someone has more than likely been there and sorted it. There
                is usually good support from the makers as well, and this is often
                internet based, so the response is quite rapid. Some years ago I bought
                an upgrade for my Zimo Command Station. Arrived quickly but no
                instructions and not 100% obvious how to fit it. 7 e-mails between
                Halifax & Austria one Saturday morning, job done. By snail mail, I
                reckon it could have taken 3 months.

                Frank 1971

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 18, 2004
                  Bill & All

                  I have a simplex waiting painting, I'm on 14mm so it has a Wrightlines
                  'spud' under it. The decoder will fit under the bonnet, I'm using Zimo
                  so it will be a MX61. Other than cutting down some of the motor to make
                  sure there is room the only thing I have done is to solder a small piece
                  of wire into each corner under the bonnet corners, and drill locating
                  holes in the frame which supports the motor to take them. I don't like
                  Kay's method of fitting pickups, so I have drilled the sides of the
                  chassis block, countersunk the holes on the inside and 14BA screwed
                  Veroboard to the block sides. Similarly the Veroboard (2 holes deep, 3
                  holes wide) is countersunk on the block side for more 14BA bolts to
                  which the pickup wires are attached. This leaves the original slots
                  where you are supposed to fit the strips of PCB to act as ventilation
                  holes. I have also drilled the block where possible without weakening it
                  for the same reason.

                  I have also in the paint shop a Nonneminstre O & K, but that won't take
                  a Zimo chip and I have the small ZTC for that.

                  I have a Roy Link Lister to build. RL has told me he has got sound in,
                  under the roof I believe, but hadn't a suggestion has to where to put a
                  DCC chip. Sunnindale had a Digitrax chip at an exhibition a couple of
                  years ago, I think its smaller than the ZTC.I think it would go in a
                  portly driver if necessary.

                  Almost ready for the paint shop are two Wrightline De Wintons. The Zimo
                  chips will just go in the watertank, but these are not on spuds, I have
                  homemade gearboxes, so the motor is in the boiler, driving the driver's
                  end axle and using the coupling rods to drive the other axle. This means
                  I have been able to make the pistons and valve gear work.

                  Somewhere, hopefully in the post is another Wrightlines spud, this for a
                  Nonneminstre Greenwood & Batley battery mine loco. I reckon to pick up
                  from the spud as described above, but on this the lights at either end
                  will work on the DCC function buttons.

                  Up and running with DCC (besides my 'real' 0 gauge) are a Double Fairlie
                  (two Chips), A Peco quarry Hunslet (with a Branchlines 80:1 gear
                  box..the Fairlie uses two of these) and a Bagnall with a 'Porterscap'
                  reduction box.

                  The only things I would say to those contemplating DCC is that it will
                  take a while to get it into your mind that chimney first is always
                  chimney first, irrespective of which way the loco is placed on the
                  track, you drive the loco, not the track. And get a computer chip
                  programming program, programming a chip sequentially from the hand
                  controller is something you will only want to try once, even if you
                  don't have to set all 128 possible parameters.

                  Frank 1971

                  Just coming back to do some narrow gauge as a diverion from USA HO.

                  I was just playing with a Wrightlines Simplex.

                  My HO is DCC - I lifted the Simplex's bonnet and thought - I could
                  get a decoder in there!

                  Anyone using DCC with narrow gauge?

                  Bill

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • gwentrail@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 18, 2004
                    Bill
                    There is a lot of it about and it is not about to go away!
                    You must be aware of the TCS M1 which is incredibly small?

                    Pat
                    Wye Valley

                  • bflude
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 19, 2004
                      Yes I have a TCS M1 on the bench in front of me - and one of the
                      Black Dog 0-9 'Mite' Diesels - it fits on top of the chassis onder
                      the bonnet - haven't wired it yet though.

                      Bill