Spyware

  • Steve Holland
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2004
      There has been much correspondence on the group regarding viruses attached to emails. Don't forget spyware as well. These are programs that get on to your hard drive and can send information about you and your on line activites without your knowledge. I was in blissful ignorance of them until a work colleague told me about them.
      There is a cure for them, I was told to go to www.lavasoft.de and download Ad-aware. This is a free download that will identify and remove spyware. After downloading I found that there were 16 malicious programs lurking on my hard drive, which have now been removed. As a bonus, the computer now seems to be running more quickly.
      I can only repeat previous advice - invest in a good anti-virus software package (I use Norton) and check your machine for spyware.
      Perhaps I can get back to modelling now I have sorted the computer out!

      Regards

      Steve
      Membership No. 1263
      Birmingham

    • robert fallis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
        On Friday 30 July 2004 22:10, Steve Holland wrote:
        > There has been much correspondence on the group regarding viruses attached
        > to emails. Don't forget spyware as well.

        one of the things that will also help with virus's and spyware is to change
        the browser you use for the intenet, to either Netscape ( which the US
        goverment reckons will stop alot of these attacks) or the program Opera,
        Opera you pay for but it is fast, and Netscape is free to download, it too is
        fater than the microsoft products.

        bob
      • models@dreamgenius.me.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
          There is some truth in what Bob says but the story isn't quite complete.

          Viruses, spyware and malware exploit vulnerabilities with (primarily)
          Microsoft software, including Internet Explorer. Quite why Microsoft are
          marketing products that haven't been sufficiently tested isn't a discussion
          for this forum but we have all seen product recalls of varied severity
          outside of the computer industry.

          Both Opera and Netscape, and additionally Avant and Mozilla, allow you to
          disallow cookies, which are a large part of the problem. However, Internet
          Explorer also allows you to do this, if you take the time to look, and an
          increasing number of sites don't work properly without cookies.

          The above four browsers are targeted less for malware and spyware, in the
          main because they aren't Microsoft software and therefore, anyone forced or
          choosing to use them is doing their little bit to diminish the Gates'
          empire, willingly or otherwise, the eyes of the misguided authors and
          perpetrators of these exploitatious programs.

          I don't have a side in this - I use all five to test the web sites I build.
          Internet Explorer, and Windows generally, is my preference because it does
          what I need it to do. However, it is a little like that car we all had in
          college, where we had to know which bit under the bonnet to tweak to make it
          run (at all) or stop every 25 miles to top up the water.

          My advice is simple - whatever product you use, learn how it works,
          completely, and what to be aware of. The onus is on you to make sure that
          you are protected, just the same as when you choose to walk through a
          less-salubrious part of town late on a Friday night.

          Getting off my soapbox

          Alan Rogers
          Managing Director of DreamGenius Ltd
          Computer Support, Training & Trouble Shooting

          ---
        • Trev
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
            According to the latest figures Internet explores share of the market
            dropped last month by a whole 1 % down to a lowly 94%. That’s why Ie is
            targeted as it’s a waste time writing a virus aimed at part of the 6% which
            will include Netscape Morella Linux users and them funny Macs

            I suspect that because Ie is targeted, more resources have been put in to
            fixing it and its much more secure then the others.

            ---