Locomotive Chassis Construction

  • Brian Gelineau
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2000
      Hi Everyone,
      As you probably know from by articles on the construction of Twiford,
      I prefer larger, common carrier locomotives. I recently purchased a
      L&M 2-6-4 that I plan to build this fall to spring (I hate to
      say "winter" since we don't have one in Virginia). I've also
      purchased several Chivers locomotive body kits but would like to
      build these with the proper outside frames. I had planned to build up
      a brass frame as per the prototype with the outside frame actually
      supporting the axles and superstructure. However, if anyone has built
      these kits I would be most interested in any recommendations on any
      aspect of their body construction, detailing or alternate frame
      construction.

      Any help would be most appreciated,

      Brian
    • Victor Rybacki
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
        I thought buying the Chivers kits - I really like the Campbeltown and
        Machrihanish loco, but like you prefer to use outside framed chassis
        rather than proprietary chassis. There are alternatives for these
        kits. The Sierra Leone Hunslet is similar to the Chivers Russell kist
        and comes with a chassis kist (dummy outside frames though. I am not
        sure who distributes this one now. L&B Models may produce a model of
        the Manning Wardle, and Gibson already has a model of Yeo, Taw etc in
        his catalogue.

        I like the L&M 2-6-4 - and would be interested in your experience of
        building it.

        Vic