The "Do"

  • Ned Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2004
      I had no trouble in following existing signs to the Town Hall from the A444 and just as I spotted the hall and the sign outside its entrance, I found myself invited into the large car park behind the hall - no problem!
      I found the architecture interesting but the lighting very gloomy in the main hall. I was surprised not to have been given a name lable to stick on my person and found it impossible to see if people were wearing red socks as suggested. I didn't think the trade was as interesting as at Shepton.
      I too felt grateful that the Trent Valley folk were putting in all that work on our behalf.
      Ned Williams

    • Fackeldey, Herbert
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2004
        Helmut and I missed the town hall, too, on our first attempt when we arrived
        on Friday. The second time, we found that the sign for the town hall is
        actually on the right hand side of the street, where we would have expected
        it to be on the continent, but then we drive on the wrong side of the road!
        It was about as large as a beer mat , and its location was carefully chosen
        so that it would be hidden by every van or lorry passing by. It was also an
        excellent idea of the council to build the disabled ramp on the rear of the
        town hall at the same time the exhibition was booked, thus blocking the
        access from the car park. That the cleaners were still on the job came as no
        surprise.
        However, this could not prevent us from thoroughly enjoing ourselves on this
        great event. The lighting was no problem for us as our layout has its own
        light show and, yes, we even had our UK adapter handy (we have quite a
        number of them in stock because on every previous exhibition, we forgot to
        take one with us and had to hurry to the next hardware store to buy one).
        The Campeltown & Machrihanish Layout was the one which suffered most from
        the lighting in the hall because it was located in a poorly-lit corner,
        which was a pity (my regards to the Macmillans if they are on the list).
        We were in the Lingen room, which was an excellent choice because there has
        been a real narrow gauge line at Lingen, Germany, until the 1950's.
        The accomodation provided by the association was excellent, and while we had
        to drive to the hall (we would have done this anyway, wouldn't we, because
        the layout was in the car) it was whithin walking distance from the Queens
        Hotel where we had an enjoyable dinner on saturday night and the brewpub
        across the street from said hotel where we spent Friday night (I wonder how
        we got up so early on Saturday morning).
        Our apologies for prematurely emptying the barrel of the Jubilee beer.
        An enjoyable day indeed, and many thanks to all concerned

        Herbert Fackeldey (2415)
      • Eve Everitt
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2004
          Well, I can only say that I am starting to feel envious of everyone who went
          to the "Do". It sounds like a great time was had by all. The beer sounds
          like it was good too. I wil put the date for next year in my dairy now.
          Perhaps I should join the 7mmNGA before then, perhaps someone will have a
          form and relieve me of some money at Narrow but Nice;o) I know that the
          majority of you are using 16.5mm gauge, but we can always try to convert you
          to 9mm?

          Eve