Re: Signs to A Bit of a "Do"

  • David Butler
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2004
      Bit late in the day, but can I add my thanks for an excellent day -
      My first to an AGM and well worth the trip from Yorkshire. Good to
      put faces to names and meet & chat with like-minded modellers.
      The two Weathering experts also gave me some much needed advice and
      help with their demonstrations - thank you both.
      The only person my wife wasn't glad I met was that nice Mr Paul
      Martin of EDM models ( we really must stop meeting like this!! <BG>)
      who relieved me of quite a few pennies more than she felt
      neccessary! - I never told her about the Association Sales Table who
      also relieved me of considerably more pennies.
      Re: the signage - I downloaded an 'official' street by street guide
      route to the Town Hall off the Net - I gave up following the
      instructions after the finding it just didn't match up and thereafter
      followed the Town Hall signs.
      This brought me out to the junction right by the Town Hall and found
      me staring at a car park I couldn't get into. Turning right seemed
      obvious and a few yards down on the left was a Town Hall 'Function'
      car park, was this for us? No signage to the affirmative so I drove
      round the block and at 20 past 10 grabbed the last remaining space in
      the Car park I originally saw! Bliss - just 15 yds to the door.
      Gloom - it's damp, none too warm for my blood and I had to queue
      outside whilst the queue slowly worked its way down to the Ticket
      table. Maybe that table should have been inside the main hall and
      that would have allowed more visitors to get in out of the weather?
      Oh and 120 visitors didn't drink all the beer - I had 2 pints! Very
      enjoyable!
      See you there next year, now I know where to go!! :-)
      David
    • DLTaylor
      Message 2 of 7 , May 11, 2004
        We had no trouble finding the hall, apart from driving right past it first
        time and having to go round the block.

        I liked the lighting level in the main hall, the exhibits look much better
        bathed in pools of light in a darkened hall, and the eye is attracted to
        them. Exhibits should have their own lighting, and (as I have found out
        the hard way!) it is a brave man who goes to an unknown venue without
        layout lighting.

        I say yes please, lets stick with this venue if we can afford it. In a
        more normal year I guess we would not need the extra room at the back,
        where the Association stand was, or the small room for the competitions.
        The competitions could be in the Dove Room, along with the AGM, as there
        was plenty of space in there. There would also be enough space for a
        general display of models brought along by members, NOT to put in the
        competition.

        Great beer, great food, loved the chicken curry& chips, and a most
        enjoyable dinner in the evening. Having gulped when we saw the cost of
        staying at the Queens Hotel, we stayed at the Grail Court Hotel, in Station
        Street. (Richard found it on the Internet:
        <http://www.grailcourthotel.com/> ) This was fine, and considerably
        cheaper. It is ten minutes walk from both the Town Hall, and the Queens.

        I like the idea of having sticky labels available for name badges. As for
        the panic with setting up in the morning, when we arrived at 10.15, there
        was no sign of it at all.

        I don't think extra signage is needed, and I echo Paul Martins point that
        it would be a lot more work for somebody. And Councils don't like it. At
        our own show, after years of rough signs painted on odd bits of plywood,
        last year we had proper signs made. The were all put up on Friday night,
        and by Saturday morning the Council had taken most of them down again. And
        they still haven't given them back!

        Dave.T

        --On Tuesday, May 11, 2004 9:36 AM +0100 David Charlesworth
        <dinas-junction@...> wrote:

        > May I first add my thanks to TVG for once again organising a superb
        > convension. I too found the signing to the Town Hall excelent (coming
        > from the Derby side) until the last junction where there was no sign of a
        > sign! (and guess who turned the wrong way). If the council can rectify
        > the them maybe all will be well for next year.
        >
        > The venue itself was excelent with one exception, the light level in the
        > main hall. With all those spots etc available I am sure that this could be
        > increased.
        >
        > David C

      • Tony Noble
        Message 3 of 7 , May 11, 2004
          For those who need directions to anywhere in the UK,

          Visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the postcode. The maps can be scaled
          up or down in stages to provide views that will suit anyone.

          All maps can also be printed up.

          As they are Ordinance Survey they are very accurate.

          Tony Noble

          <dinas-junction@...> wrote:

          > May I first add my thanks to TVG for once again organising a superb
          > convension. I too found the signing to the Town Hall excelent (coming
          > from the Derby side) until the last junction where there was no sign
          of a
          > sign! (and guess who turned the wrong way). If the council can rectify
          > the them maybe all will be well for next year.
          >
          > The venue itself was excelent with one exception, the light level in
          the
          > main hall. With all those spots etc available I am sure that this
          could be
          > increased.
          >
          > David C

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1290erqs3/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1706533813:HM/EXP=1084363794/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://
          companion.yahoo.com> click here

          s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=903363236>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • FRANK SHARP
          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2004
            Oh yes they did, I only had a half !

            Frank 1971

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1298cs2tp/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1706533813:HM/EXP=1084356298/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/c
            ompanion.yahoo.com> click here

            s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=889508856>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • B.Rumary
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2004
              DLTaylor wrote:

              > I don't think extra signage is needed, and I echo Paul Martins point that
              > it would be a lot more work for somebody. And Councils don't like it. At
              > our own show, after years of rough signs painted on odd bits of plywood,
              > last year we had proper signs made. The were all put up on Friday night,
              > and by Saturday morning the Council had taken most of them down again. And
              > they still haven't given them back!

              Strange that councils hate private road signs, yet are quite happy to have all
              those signs directing you to this or that new housing estate! But I expect
              half the council are only too happy to do favours for their "friends".

              Some council types will tell you it is to "preserve the visual qualities of
              the environment" or some other such PR bollocks. However with all the signs
              and road painting on the streets these days, I think this really a bit rich.

              Brian Rumary, England

              http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm