Re: [7mmnga] Small curves, big ideas

  • Darryl Huffman
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
      Dave,

      After seeing some of the extremely sharp radius layouts featured in Railway
      Modeller, I have decided the following:

      1. The type of coupling system you use makes a bid difference. In the
      United States, most people use Kadees and this usually sets the limit on
      raduis.

      2. Using "Snap Track", track that has a built-in, predetermined radius will
      allow for tighter curves than flex track. If you are hand laying track, you
      will have the best results if your track is "pre-formed" to a certain radius
      on a track bending device.

      3. Hidden reverse loops need lots of easy access, or else they must be
      avoided at all costs.

      In the United States, the tightest, readily available snap track is a 15
      inch radius by Atlas. That is what I have used as my minimum radius for 30
      years with no problems.

      I understand Fleischmann makes a tighter radius track, but I have never been
      able to find it here.

      If someone over there (or over here) has access to smaller radius track, I
      would be interested in buying a circle of it to play with.

      Darryl Huffman
      Anchorage, Alaska

      Like model trains?
      Check out my photos at
      www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com
    • howardmartin
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        Dear Dave

        On my Avalon Brickworks layout, the 180° curve at one end is is 4½" and 6"
        at the other, SPUD's go round easily and one occasion an Agenoria 0-4-0 open
        cab Hunslet went round the smaller curve. the only reason, the loco wouldn't
        go round the other end was height of the hole in the backscene.

        Standard Peco 0-16.5 flexitrack has been used. The key trick is to start at
        the middle of the curve and work out wards and not to have any track joins
        until the radius slackens off. It may be necessary to cut some of the
        sleeper webbing on the inside rail.

        Howard Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
          On Thursday 01 November 2001 07:13, Dave Balcombe wrote:
          > Dear All,
          >
          > Have decided that it would be useful to have a reverse loop offstage
          > on my new layout.
          >
          > Factors: 016.5. Only 0-4-0 Locos. Only 4 wheel rolling stock.
          >
          > Question: What would be the smallest (comfortable) radius you would
          > reccomend?
          Hi Dave ,
          I've just measured the radius on my small layout it's 8.5 inches.
          I use copper clad sleepers from S.M.P and peco 100 rails, there,s a book by
          Iain Rice about building pcb track which explains point making etc.,
          if you make your own point th radius of them can suit there place on the
          layout.
          regards bob fallis
        • David Leslie Taylor
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
            Dear Dave,
            Another limiting factor on the curve radius is the
            type of coupling you use, and whether it has the capacity
            to swing far enough. Will your train bend enough to
            accommodate the radius? Length of coupling is also a
            consideration, will the inside corners of your rolling
            stock foul each-other on the bend? Obviously there is a
            trade-off here, the wider your vehicles, the longer the gap
            between them needs to be.
            Regarding bending Peco track to a very tight curve,
            I would recommend sliding the sleepers off first, and
            pre-curving the rail. You can then cut out the webs
            between the sleepers, and thread them back on. (Not as
            tedious as it sounds, I assure you!) With the rail
            pre-curved, the flexible track will stay put, and not be
            under any stress when you lay it. Howard has obviously had
            no trouble with the track on Avalon brickworks, but I don't
            like the thought of all that sideways stress built
            permanently into your layout.
            Another advantage of removing the webs is that you
            can vary the sleeper spacing, and straighten them out a
            bit. The Peco track as it stands looks far too "crazy"
            to me, for a British railway, and the sleeper spacing looks
            too close. I adopted this method on Charmouth, and felt
            that the finished result was a vast improvement, well worth
            the small extra effort.
            Good luck, let us know how you get on.
            Dave.T

            On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:48:11 -0000 howardmartin
            <howardmartin@...> wrote:

            > Dear Dave
            >
            > On my Avalon Brickworks layout, the 180� curve at one end is is 4�" and 6"
            > at the other, SPUD's go round easily and one occasion an Agenoria 0-4-0 open
            > cab Hunslet went round the smaller curve. the only reason, the loco wouldn't
            > go round the other end was height of the hole in the backscene.
            >
            > Standard Peco 0-16.5 flexitrack has been used. The key trick is to start at
            > the middle of the curve and work out wards and not to have any track joins
            > until the radius slackens off. It may be necessary to cut some of the
            > sleeper webbing on the inside rail.
            >
            > Howard Martin

            David Leslie Taylor
            University of Exeter