Re: Warning: Gnomy's are becoming collectable and expensive!

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 9, 2004
      I think you have it just right Jim, it's all about getting something
      different and the modern trend of instant gratification. Speaking
      for myself I know I am "guilty" of that wanting the unusual on ebay
      often.

      Thank you for the compliment on the model Alan, I'm the vendor and
      the builder. I sold my HO collection on ebay with fair sucess
      getting 20 to 40 hits per item but on this one I got 325 hits. I
      felt that I got a fair return on the time I invested in building a
      custom item as a hobbyist.

      I have started to model County Donegal Railway in 7mm and need some
      covered vans at moderate cost (Tyrconnell vans at GBP25 per is out
      of MY league). I developed a master and cast the sides in resin.
      They did nothing on ebay. This is the link to one of them

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=3179062710&category=485&sspagename=STRK%3AMESUS%
      3AIT&rd=1

      Perhaps they may be of interest on this list. They are fairly basic
      and will lend themselves to further detailing. I have also done
      a 'red van' body and will try all of them again next week. In the
      works is a body for a Whitchurch and Upwell type tram (because I
      would like one in 7/16.5) Who knows when this will turn up on ebay!

      Peter Dullard
      Wellington, ON
      Canada
      aholguinero@...

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Favre" <jimfavre@b...> wrote:
      > Regarding the sale of the Gnomy based tram loco on E-Bay... I
      think the key issue is the lack of creativity and modeling skills on
      the part of "John Doe, average model railroader". There seems to be
      no shortage of ready buyers for well built models.

      > I am in the process of shifting my G scale collection from U.S.
      prototypes to European and have sold some of my personal G scale
      models on E-Bay. I have been astounded at the prices that people
      have paid.

      > An LGB Porter 0-4-0T that I originally paid $49.00 for about 10
      years ago and which I had repainted, detailed and weathered sold for
      $375.00.

      > I have already been buying inexpensive LGB locos to repaint,
      detail, and resell.

      > Hmmmm, I also have two converted Gnomy Trams, maybe it's time to
      take some nice photos and see what they will bring in?

      > Cheers,
      > Jim Favre jimfavre@b...
      > Dalton, Massachusetts
      > 7mmNGA Member No. 2745
      >
      > Note: Outbound E-Mail is scanned for
      > viruses automatically before it is sent

    • Ryk Parkinson
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 9, 2004
        Peter

        As an enthusiast living near the terminus of said line I hope you mean the
        Wisbech and Upwell Tramway (which did have the misfortune to have its wheels
        too far apart, but was still a beautiful line).

        Ryk Parkinson
        1605
        Teaboy, Wisbech and Leverington Light Railway (which does have its wheels
        the right distance apart)

        > I think you have it just right Jim, it's all about getting something
        > different and the modern trend of instant gratification. Speaking
        > for myself I know I am "guilty" of that wanting the unusual on ebay
        > often.
        >
        > Thank you for the compliment on the model Alan, I'm the vendor and
        > the builder. I sold my HO collection on ebay with fair sucess
        > getting 20 to 40 hits per item but on this one I got 325 hits. I
        > felt that I got a fair return on the time I invested in building a
        > custom item as a hobbyist.
        >
        > I have started to model County Donegal Railway in 7mm and need some
        > covered vans at moderate cost (Tyrconnell vans at GBP25 per is out
        > of MY league). I developed a master and cast the sides in resin.
        > They did nothing on ebay. This is the link to one of them
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        > ViewItem&item=3179062710&category=485&sspagename=STRK%3AMESUS%
        > 3AIT&rd=1
        >
        > Perhaps they may be of interest on this list. They are fairly basic
        > and will lend themselves to further detailing. I have also done
        > a 'red van' body and will try all of them again next week. In the
        > works is a body for a Whitchurch and Upwell type tram (because I
        > would like one in 7/16.5) Who knows when this will turn up on ebay!
        >
        > Peter Dullard
        > Wellington, ON
        > Canada
        > aholguinero@...

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 9, 2004
          "the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway (which did have the misfortune to
          have its wheels too far apart, but was still a beautiful line)."

          Ryk, you took the word right out of my keyboard! Have you done the
          Y-1 and Y-10 in narrow gauge and are there any pictures on the web
          of the Teaboy, Wisbech and Leverington Light Railway?

        • Ned Williams
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 10, 2004
            hi there
            This is really a reply to Peter Dullard.
            If he finds the resin kits from Tryeconnell Range too expensive but still wish to model the CDR he should transfer to the card kits also produced by Roger Crombleholme trading as Alphagrahix. They are really good and look very detailed by cleverly building up layers of card - and they are very cheap. and great fun to build...
            See an article I wrote fro Narrowlines on the subject a while ago...
            Ned Williams

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 10, 2004
              Thanks for the advice Ned, I'll check them out.

            • Mark Newton
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 15, 2004
                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Favre" <jimfavre@b...> wrote:

                "Regarding the sale of the Gnomy based tram loco on E-Bay... I think
                the key issue is the lack of creativity and modeling skills on the
                part of "John Doe, average model railroader". There seems to be no
                shortage of ready buyers for well built models."

                An interesting observation, Jim. I can't help but be amused by people
                who describe themselves as model railroaders, but are only interested
                in RTR. Any suggestion to these folks of kitbuilding, or
                scratchbuilding, is met with a look of horror.

                Cheers,

                Mark.
              • James Eckman
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
                  From: "Mark Newton" <mark_newton@...>

                  >"Regarding the sale of the Gnomy based tram loco on E-Bay... I think
                  >the key issue is the lack of creativity and modeling skills on the
                  >part of "John Doe, average model railroader". There seems to be no
                  >shortage of ready buyers for well built models."

                  Sadly when I entered my models in the local meet, there was only one
                  other scratchbuilt car. I'd say it's uncommon except among the narrow
                  gauge crowd. Of course it's tough to learn it, if you were never exposed
                  to it and the mainstream magazines either show ready to run or modelling
                  projects that have me cringe ;)

                  >An interesting observation, Jim. I can't help but be amused by people
                  >who describe themselves as model railroaders, but are only interested
                  >in RTR. Any suggestion to these folks of kitbuilding, or
                  >scratchbuilding, is met with a look of horror.

                  Well some do model railroads with extensive operations, realistic track
                  plans and good placement of what they can buy and then run them many
                  times in a year. This as opposed to some of us scratchbuilder types, who
                  sometimes go for years with formal operations sessions. It's a broad
                  hobby, with lots of different activities, including running Thomas
                  around the Christmas tree.

                  Jim
                • wensleyshortline
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
                    --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, <models@d...> wrote:
                    > All
                    >
                    > I thought all you eBayers out there in narrow gauge modelling land
                    would
                    > be amused by this item that I've been watching in the USA:
                    >
                    > Enjoy
                    >
                    > Alan Rogers
                    > Thin Controller on the SHIRly

                    Well Alan here's the latest in the Ebay Gnomy Saga!
                    Take a look at this one, you'll doubtless recognise it (VBG)

                    On30 PORTER TRAM LOCO aka STEAM DUMMY, CUSTOM BUILT Item number:
                    3184304186 on Ebay.
                    GerryB.