Re: [7mmnga] track

  • Graham Spencer
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2001
      Hi John

      Dave Nicholson (L&B Models and now ZTC) did start to produce an excellent
      resin-cast 14mm track base a year or two ago and promised some points to go
      with it. The range seems to have died a death now that he has taken over
      ZTC. I must get hold of him and see if the track is still available and if
      the points ever will be..........

      Wrightlines handle the Gilbert Gribi range - I haven't used the parts
      myself, but they look good on paper. Go to http://www.keykits.net

      Cheers
      Graham
    • David Leslie Taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
        I suggest that you try out the Gilbert Gribi
        track range, as supplied by Wrightlines. I haven't used it
        myself, but it looks good. Like the Roy Link track, its a
        range of parts that falls somewhere between kitbuilding and
        full scratchbuilding. The range includes very nice jigs
        for constructing complete point crossings.
        Being continental in design, the sleeper section
        and recommended spacing looks wrong for a British railway,
        but that is simple to get over. On my current layout, I am
        using Obechi stripwood (5mm x 1.8mm) for sleepering,
        obtained from my local model aircraft/ship shop. Sleepers
        are cut to length with a razor saw in a simple jig (a lot
        quicker than it sounds) and the rail is spiked down using
        Roy link track spikes (also a lot quicker than it sounds!)
        You need a soft track base, I use Sundeala.
        This approach may get a bit tedious if your layout
        is 20feet by 12feet, but for the average British layout
        this shouldn't be a problem. Time spent getting your
        trackwork well sorted, is time well spent.
        Let us know how you get on.
        Dave.T

        On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:30:02 -0000 John Owen
        <shantyjohn@...> wrote:

        > I know that Roy Link makes componenets for metal sleepered temporary
        > track for 14mm gauge, but is there anyone who produces parts or
        > templates for more permanent timber sleepered track?
        >
        > Hope someone can help.

        ----------------------
        David Leslie Taylor
        University of Exeter
      • nigel_bowley
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2001
          John Owen wrote:

          > I know that Roy Link makes componenets for metal sleepered
          > temporary track for 14mm gauge, but is there anyone who produces
          > parts or templates for more permanent timber sleepered track?

          John

          I hope it's not too late to reply to this?

          I'm planning to use Exactoscale and C+L 4mm (mostly) components for
          14mm gauge track: code 75 bullhead rail and moulded plastic chairs on
          wooden sleepers. The sleepers are the 7mm ones; if you cut them in
          half they're just right for 7mm narrow gauge (well, they are for
          Penrhyn anyway). There's also moulded plastic and cast brass
          fishplates (very tiny).

          Points are to be stub type, using cast brass chairs for the moving
          rails, along the lines of Neil Sayer's article in NG&IRMR 6. I've
          got some Gilbert Gribi templates I'm planning to doctor.

          I haven't actually tried any of this yet, but expect to start soon
          (I'm just waiting for the brass fishplates)

          Nigel
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2001
            --- In 7mmnga@y..., "nigel_bowley" <nigel.bowley@b...> wrote:
            > John Owen wrote:
            >
            > > I know that Roy Link makes componenets for metal sleepered
            > > temporary track for 14mm gauge, but is there anyone who produces
            > > parts or templates for more permanent timber sleepered track?
            >
            > John
            >
            > I hope it's not too late to reply to this?
            >
            > I'm planning to use Exactoscale and C+L 4mm (mostly) components for
            > 14mm gauge track: code 75 bullhead rail and moulded plastic chairs
            on
            > wooden sleepers. The sleepers are the 7mm ones; if you cut them in
            > half they're just right for 7mm narrow gauge (well, they are for
            > Penrhyn anyway).

            I have some experience of this system, having built several yards of
            track by just this method.
            I only stopped when i found that it was slightly too small for 7mm
            scale Festiniog Railway track.

            I would suggest that you include a rivetted and soldered sleeper
            every so often, just to give a little bit extra strength, and at
            least half a dozen such at each baseboard joint.
            The plastic sleepers are only reasonably durable, and the
            plastic/sleeper joint is similarly subject to some variation in
            strength.
            I know what all the makers claim - this is the voice of experience!!!

            Adrian Gray
          • nigel_bowley
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2001
              Adrian Gray wrote:

              > I would suggest that you include a rivetted and soldered sleeper
              > every so often, just to give a little bit extra strength, and at
              > least half a dozen such at each baseboard joint.
              > The plastic sleepers are only reasonably durable, and the
              > plastic/sleeper joint is similarly subject to some variation in
              > strength.
              > I know what all the makers claim - this is the voice of
              > experience!!!
              >
              > Adrian Gray

              Adrian

              Thanks for the tips. I'm intending to use wooden sleepers instead of
              the plastic ones: you impregnate the sleeper with a bonding agent
              where the chair's going to go, then glue them on with liquid solvent;
              though I guess the same comments would apply (perhaps even more so?).

              The cast brass chairs are meant for using at baseboard joints,
              although I suppose you could do an ordinary soldered sleeper and glue
              halves of the plastic chairs either side for the look of the thing.
              I might well do this, as the brass chairs are quite expensive; I was
              just going to use them for stub point pivots.

              There're also some little brass tags you can fit through the sleepers
              and solder the rail to for electical connections. I'm thinking of
              using these, but I don't know if they'll work as well as soldering to
              rivets (or copper clad sleepers).

              It's all a bit complicated I suppose, but it could be worth it, if it
              works. I'll probably make a complete mess of it, but it's worth a
              try.

              Of course the sleepers and chairs won't be very visible apart from at
              points, so I could always solder the rails to copper clad sleepers
              for the plain track, and just use the fancy chairs and wooden
              sleepers for the points.

              Yes, I realise code 75 is a bit on the small side. I want to
              represent something like Penrhyn or Dinorwic chaired bullhead track.
              For Penrhyn it should be more like code 100, but I can't find a
              supply of code 100 bullhead rail and chairs. Dinorwic rail was
              lighter, so presumably lower, so I'm thinking maybe code 75 is near
              enough.

              Nigel
            • SevenMilMarket@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2001
                In a message dated 08-12-01 19:33:12 Eastern Standard Time, nigel.bowley@... writes:

                but I can't find a
                supply of code 100 bullhead rail and chairs.

                Try Slater's...,
                1403 Code 100 Bullhead Rail £8.11 £9.52
                this "might" work with C&L chairs?
                Zoë

              • David Leslie Taylor
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
                  If the 4mm scale components are a bit on the small
                  side for chaired bullhead track, you could always join the
                  S Gauge Society and use their own components. S is an
                  imperial scale, 3/16inch to the foot, 1:64 scale. So it
                  falls somewhere between 4mm and 7mm. I have certainly
                  heard of modellers using S scale track parts to represent
                  the Festiniog, but it may be a bit hefty for the Penrhyn.
                  If you actually want to feast your eyes on the real
                  thing, The Launceston Steam Railway in Cornwall uses some
                  genuine ex-Penryn track in some areas, in particular the
                  run-round loop at the far end. And of course, runs quarry
                  Hunslets on it.
                  Dave.T

                  On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 17:43:46 -0000 nigel_bowley
                  <nigel.bowley@...> wrote:

                  > John Owen wrote:
                  >
                  > > I know that Roy Link makes componenets for metal sleepered
                  > > temporary track for 14mm gauge, but is there anyone who produces
                  > > parts or templates for more permanent timber sleepered track?
                  >
                  > John
                  >
                  > I hope it's not too late to reply to this?
                  >
                  > I'm planning to use Exactoscale and C+L 4mm (mostly) components for
                  > 14mm gauge track: code 75 bullhead rail and moulded plastic chairs on
                  > wooden sleepers. The sleepers are the 7mm ones; if you cut them in
                  > half they're just right for 7mm narrow gauge (well, they are for
                  > Penrhyn anyway). There's also moulded plastic and cast brass
                  > fishplates (very tiny).
                  >
                  > Points are to be stub type, using cast brass chairs for the moving
                  > rails, along the lines of Neil Sayer's article in NG&IRMR 6. I've
                  > got some Gilbert Gribi templates I'm planning to doctor.
                  >
                  > I haven't actually tried any of this yet, but expect to start soon
                  > (I'm just waiting for the brass fishplates)
                  >
                  > Nigel

                  David Leslie Taylor
                  University of Exeter