Land Heave and subsidence

  • vannerley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2004
      Here's one for those with mining layouts.

      I have been giving Helfenberg the 'once over' before its appearance
      at the Tonbridge Show on Saturday 21st February. Needing to give one
      area of scenery a little extra support I decided to give it a squirt
      of expanding foam as used in the building trade. Having taken the
      obvious precautions (safe handling, ventilation, containment) a quick
      blast in a suitable gap.

      Next morning: well, of course, the squirt was too long wasn't it! The
      effect on that particular paved area was exactly that of land heave.
      Someone was writing in a magazine recently about using this foam as a
      base for scenery. A little expensive, and you would have to make
      really had sure that it had stopped growing before going on to the
      next stage. I sliced the top off the lump which had grown and sure
      enough an hour later the newly exposed material had had a little
      growth spurt! Slice again and it is now OK, pavement relaid and all
      systems teeter.

      Thanks to those who responded to my query about Austrian snow ploughs
      last year. I was able to make contact with a member of the Austrian
      Society for Railway History who supplied photos of the machine
      compartment of the one preserved at Gruenberg.

      Lastly, some tile shops are now selling short lengths of polystyrene
      tube as spacers for tiling. The 2mm. diameter make good fence posts.
      There are several different diameters.

      2248
      David Vannerley