Re: [7mmnga] Snailbeach Hoppers

  • robin edwards
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
      I can confirm this as I had the chance some years ago to inspect the
      underframe of one of these wagons while it was outside the Narrow Gauge
      Museum at Tywyn. The bottom discharge door was rectangular with the long
      side parallel to the chassis sideframes. It was hinge along one of the long
      sides and had a simple "spring-catch" on the other side that could be
      released by pulling a chain fixed between the catch and outside solebar. I
      suspect there was another chain on the door to enable you to pull it closed
      afterwards.

      Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing - perhaps a drawing would be better?

      Happy New Year to everyone.

      Regards,

      Robin.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
        Greetings Michael and Group,
        I have just added 4 photos to the Aussie NG Hoppers (no kangaroos or
        wallabies) folder in the Files section of 2' guage wagons preserved
        at the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society at Albion Park near
        Wollongong Australia. (website at www.gghome.com/ILRMS)
        Bottom dump cars area the cballast and sballast files. Both were
        made by the ILRMS on spare V-tip skip frames and see regular use on
        our work train. Other photos show a pressed steel 1-ton coal skip
        and a V sidetip hopper with a bulk sugar bin.

        Happy New Year to all,
        Regards, from John Garaty
        Unanderra in oz and ILRMS member.

        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Johnson" <michael@p...>
        wrote:

        > G'day,

        Snip

        > I'm also interested to know if anyone knows of any other examples
        of 4-wheel
        > hoppers with a gauge less than 3' that discharge through the
        bottom.

        > Cheers,
        >
        > Michael J
        > Melbourne Australia
      • Alan Rogers
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
          Michael, John

          If you weren't already aware, Wrightlines produce a very nice white
          metal kit of the Snailbeach Hoppers - go to their web site at
          http://www.keykits.net and then click on 'Wrightlines' under the
          Catalogues section. Once that page loads, choose 'Wagon and Van Kits'
          from the drop-down menu and scroll down to item W035. If you click on
          the camera icon in the same line, a B&W line drawing will also appear in
          a pop-up window.

          A fellow member of the Surrey Area Group of the Association has a train
          of three of these wagons and they track superbly because of their
          weight. You do however have to have a loco that is quite weighty or
          powerful in order to get them moving!

          NB: If you're using Windows XP and/or Internet Explorer 6, this may fail
          because of the default settings that Microsoft ship with these products.
          Full instructions are available on the KeyKits web site on how to get
          around this and it isn't difficult.

          Alan Rogers
          Thin Controller on the SHIRly

          ---
        • John Dennis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
            Alan,

            Thanks for this information. I guess my only concern might be the
            weight - the reason I would like to use these hoppers is to run 8 or
            so of them in a train instead of 4 bogie wagons. However, it is nice
            to know that they can be purchased in 7mm scale.

            I don't have any dimensions of these vehicles, or any plans. Do you
            know of any drawings of the Snailbeach hoppers?

            John

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
              John

              Sadly, this is the very limit of my knowledge of these wagons. It's time
              for someone more knowledgeable to step in with this information.

              Alan

              ---
            • Frank Savery
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
                Hi John,
                Scale drawings will be winging their way to your computer in about 4 minutes
                !
                Cheers,
                Frank Savery,
                Managing Director, Chief Cook & Bottle Washer,
                King Island Tramway Co.

                > Thanks for this information. I guess my only concern might be the
                > weight - the reason I would like to use these hoppers is to run 8 or
                > so of them in a train instead of 4 bogie wagons. However, it is nice
                > to know that they can be purchased in 7mm scale.
                >
                > I don't have any dimensions of these vehicles, or any plans. Do you
                > know of any drawings of the Snailbeach hoppers?
                >
                > John
                >
                > On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:07:27 -0000, "Alan Rogers"
                > <models@...> wrote:
                >
                > >Michael, John
                > >
                > >If you weren't already aware, Wrightlines produce a very nice white
                > >metal kit of the Snailbeach Hoppers - go to their web site at
                > >http://www.keykits.net and then click on 'Wrightlines' under the
                > >Catalogues section. Once that page loads, choose 'Wagon and Van Kits'
                > >from the drop-down menu and scroll down to item W035. If you click on
                > >the camera icon in the same line, a B&W line drawing will also appear in
                > >a pop-up window.
                > >
                > >A fellow member of the Surrey Area Group of the Association has a train
                > >of three of these wagons and they track superbly because of their
                > >weight. You do however have to have a loco that is quite weighty or
                > >powerful in order to get them moving!

                > John Dennis jdennis@...
                > Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
                > and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
                > Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optushome.com.au/duttonbay
                > WebX http://members.optushome.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Michael Johnson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Thanks everybody for the information on the Snailbeach hoppers. Very useful.

                  Michael
                • Robin Edwards
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
                    Hi John,

                    I have a rake of 8 Wrightlines Snailbeach Hopper wagons which I used to pull behind a 4-6-0T Baldwin (again from Wrightlines) on my old exhibition layout. They looked the part and the loco had no problems with them - but it was all on the level and I don't know how it would have managed on any gradients. I haven't run them for a while as their couplings don't suit the current layout. I have weighed them on the kitchen scales (when my better half was out!) and with loads all eight weigh 1 pound 10 ounces or 750 g. This makes each wagon weigh about 3.3 oz or 94 g (roughly, I may maths is correct!).

                    Hope this helps.

                    Regards,

                    Robin.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
                      John,

                      If you can get hold of a copy there are drawings of the Snailbeach hopper wagons in "The Snailbeach District Railway" by the late Eric S Tonks. This was an Industrial Railway Society publication.

                      Regards

                      Steve
                      Membership No. 1263
                      Birmingham