Re: [7mmnga] Snailbeach Hoppers

  • Michael Johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2003
      Thanks, John, the answer I was hoping for...

      Michael

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
        I can confirm this as I had the chance some years ago to inspect the
        underframe of one of these wagons while it was outside the Narrow Gauge
        Museum at Tywyn. The bottom discharge door was rectangular with the long
        side parallel to the chassis sideframes. It was hinge along one of the long
        sides and had a simple "spring-catch" on the other side that could be
        released by pulling a chain fixed between the catch and outside solebar. I
        suspect there was another chain on the door to enable you to pull it closed
        afterwards.

        Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing - perhaps a drawing would be better?

        Happy New Year to everyone.

        Regards,

        Robin.
        > Thanks, John, the answer I was hoping for...
        >
        > Michael

      • John Garaty
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
          Greetings Michael and Group,
          I have just added 4 photos to the Aussie NG Hoppers (no kangaroos or
          wallabies) folder in the Files section of 2' guage wagons preserved
          at the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society at Albion Park near
          Wollongong Australia. (website at www.gghome.com/ILRMS)
          Bottom dump cars area the cballast and sballast files. Both were
          made by the ILRMS on spare V-tip skip frames and see regular use on
          our work train. Other photos show a pressed steel 1-ton coal skip
          and a V sidetip hopper with a bulk sugar bin.

          Happy New Year to all,
          Regards, from John Garaty
          Unanderra in oz and ILRMS member.

          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Johnson" <michael@p...>
          wrote:

          > G'day,

          Snip

          > I'm also interested to know if anyone knows of any other examples
          of 4-wheel
          > hoppers with a gauge less than 3' that discharge through the
          bottom.

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Michael J
          > Melbourne Australia
        • Alan Rogers
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
            Michael, John

            If you weren't already aware, Wrightlines produce a very nice white
            metal kit of the Snailbeach Hoppers - go to their web site at
            http://www.keykits.net and then click on 'Wrightlines' under the
            Catalogues section. Once that page loads, choose 'Wagon and Van Kits'
            from the drop-down menu and scroll down to item W035. If you click on
            the camera icon in the same line, a B&W line drawing will also appear in
            a pop-up window.

            A fellow member of the Surrey Area Group of the Association has a train
            of three of these wagons and they track superbly because of their
            weight. You do however have to have a loco that is quite weighty or
            powerful in order to get them moving!

            NB: If you're using Windows XP and/or Internet Explorer 6, this may fail
            because of the default settings that Microsoft ship with these products.
            Full instructions are available on the KeyKits web site on how to get
            around this and it isn't difficult.

            Alan Rogers
            Thin Controller on the SHIRly

            ---
          • John Dennis
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
              Alan,

              Thanks for this information. I guess my only concern might be the
              weight - the reason I would like to use these hoppers is to run 8 or
              so of them in a train instead of 4 bogie wagons. However, it is nice
              to know that they can be purchased in 7mm scale.

              I don't have any dimensions of these vehicles, or any plans. Do you
              know of any drawings of the Snailbeach hoppers?

              John

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
                John

                Sadly, this is the very limit of my knowledge of these wagons. It's time
                for someone more knowledgeable to step in with this information.

                Alan

                ---
              • Frank Savery
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Hi John,
                  Scale drawings will be winging their way to your computer in about 4 minutes
                  !
                  Cheers,
                  Frank Savery,
                  Managing Director, Chief Cook & Bottle Washer,
                  King Island Tramway Co.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Thanks everybody for the information on the Snailbeach hoppers. Very useful.

                    Michael
                  • Robin Edwards
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
                      Hi John,

                      I have a rake of 8 Wrightlines Snailbeach Hopper wagons which I used to pull behind a 4-6-0T Baldwin (again from Wrightlines) on my old exhibition layout. They looked the part and the loco had no problems with them - but it was all on the level and I don't know how it would have managed on any gradients. I haven't run them for a while as their couplings don't suit the current layout. I have weighed them on the kitchen scales (when my better half was out!) and with loads all eight weigh 1 pound 10 ounces or 750 g. This makes each wagon weigh about 3.3 oz or 94 g (roughly, I may maths is correct!).

                      Hope this helps.

                      Regards,

                      Robin.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
                        John,

                        If you can get hold of a copy there are drawings of the Snailbeach hopper wagons in "The Snailbeach District Railway" by the late Eric S Tonks. This was an Industrial Railway Society publication.

                        Regards

                        Steve
                        Membership No. 1263
                        Birmingham