Re: [7mmnga] 7mm Garratt

  • Brian Lunn
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 6, 2001
      Actually it was this site that started me looking at 7mm NG Garretts. I believe it is http://home.t-online.de/home/FrankNeubauer/garratt/garratt.htm. A nice conversion, just the thing to get you wanting a Garrett.
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 14, 2001
        You can find the k1 plans in Narrow Lines 94 page 17. Also a really good book by Dr. Christian CENAC K1 ist Garratt in Tasmania. The drawings are 1:48 but the plans that come with it are really detailed are 1:19 scale. The book maybe a bit expensive but well worth it. His address is Christian CENAC, 23 rue des Martyrs de la Liberation, 31400 Toulouse France. The book is in french and english so there is no worry about not getting the information. Plus the book has other information about the the North Dundas Tramway and other drawings of the cars and locomotives. I believe there is another book on the Hagans locomotive Same type of deal as the K1 book  and would have information and drawings about k1, but unsure of the title.
        Regards
        Lyle Hetsler
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
          Brian,
          There is a drawing in a prehistoric Model Railway News with a works photo from about the time it was released to the FR, I will see if I can find it and will send you a scanned copy by e-mail.
          It will not be a large file, otherwise it will cost a fortune to send.
          OK?
          Roger Brown

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
            Roger -

            That's the same drawing that appeared in the FR leaflet (it was 4mm, not 7mm
            as I'd thought, but I've enlarged it to 7mm) which I've already sent to
            Brian. It was about 1966/7, round about the time K1 went to Portmadoc (as
            it still was then). Sorry to pre-empt you!

            Cheers
            Graham
          • B.Rumary
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
              B.Rumary wrote:
              > The best source of plans for this loco is a set of drawings published
              > as "K1 - 1st Garratt in Tasmania" by Dr Christian C�nac. These consist
              > of a boxed set of 148 A3 size sheets of plans for the whole equipment
              > of the Zeehan tramway in Tasmania where the loco worked. There are
              > about 48 sheets on the K1, but also on the other locos, including the
              > Hagans articulated, as well as the rolling stock. The plans of the K1
              > are incredibly detailed and show just about everything you would need
              > to build the thing full size, let alone in 7mm! However as I remember
              > they were a bit pricey, being a very limited run item.

              A follow on to my posting above. I forgot that the C�nac set consisted of
              two items; a 164 page, A4-size softback book _plus_ the boxed set of
              plans! The book has a history of the line, in English & French, with some
              photos of the Garratt in York museum, and has some drawings from the set.
              However these are 1:48 scale GA drawings, while the A3 sheets are bigger
              and a lot more detailed. I am not sure if the book is available *without*
              the separate plan set - is so this would be cheaper and would probably
              have enough information for a 7mm scale model.

              Incidentally Dr C�nac also did similar plan sets for the equipment 600mm
              gauge field railways used by the French on the Western Front in WW1, and
              one on the Jumelles rack railway in the Pyrenees. The book says that Dr
              C�nac will accept credit cards and you can order these items from him at
              the following address:-

              Christian C�nac
              23, rue des Martyrs de la Lib�ration
              31400 Toulouse
              France
              Tel: 05 61 52 57 90

              Brian Rumary, England

              http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm
            • B.Rumary
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
                Lyle Hetsler wrote:
                > I believe there is another book on the Hagans locomotive Same type
                > of deal as the K1 book and would have information and drawings
                > about k1, but unsure of the title.

                This is not a separate book - the drawings for the Hagans loco (and
                other locos and stock of the Tasmanian line) are all in the Cenac "K1"
                book, although not quite as detailed as the Garratt plans.

                Brian Rumary, England

                http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm
              • John Dennis
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
                  >Lyle Hetsler wrote:
                  >> I believe there is another book on the Hagans locomotive Same type
                  >> of deal as the K1 book and would have information and drawings
                  >> about k1, but unsure of the title.
                  >>
                  >This is not a separate book - the drawings for the Hagans loco (and
                  >other locos and stock of the Tasmanian line) are all in the Cenac "K1"
                  >book, although not quite as detailed as the Garratt plans.
                  >
                  >Brian Rumary, England

                  There is a book on the Hagan called:
                  Tasmania's Hagans, by Geoff Murdoch
                  and published by the author. A much slimmer volume (~70 A4 pages)

                  But that book won't help you build a K class.

                  John
                  John Dennis jdennis@...
                  Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
                  and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
                  Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optushome.com.au/duttonbay
                  WebX http://members.optushome.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html
                • lyle Hetsler

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 16, 2001

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 16, 2001
                        I believe the  web site was through Miba in germany. It was one of the earlier postings on the group perhaps if you looked there you could find it again. Too bad we couldn't find out who constructed it and ask him for an article or If miba published it translate it and get clearance to publish it.
                        Lyle