Re: [7mmnga] 7mm Garratt

  • Brian Lunn
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 6, 2001
      Actually it was this site that started me looking at 7mm NG Garretts. I believe it is http://home.t-online.de/home/FrankNeubauer/garratt/garratt.htm. A nice conversion, just the thing to get you wanting a Garrett.
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 14, 2001
        Brian Lunn wrote:
        > I would like to build a 7mm model of the K1 Garratt (Welsh Highland
        > Railway) but I am having some difficulty finding plans, dimentions,
        > etc. Can anyone help either by loaning or sending copies etc. i will
        > be willing to cover reasonable expense.

        The best source of plans for this loco is a set of drawings published
        as "K1 - 1st Garratt in Tasmania" by Dr Christian C�nac. These consist
        of a boxed set of 148 A3 size sheets of plans for the whole equipment
        of the Zeehan tramway in Tasmania where the loco worked. There are
        about 48 sheets on the K1, but also on the other locos, including the
        Hagans articulated, as well as the rolling stock. The plans of the K1
        are incredibly detailed and show just about everything you would need
        to build the thing full size, let alone in 7mm! However as I remember
        they were a bit pricey, being a very limited run item.

        This plan set was published in France in 1996 under ISBN 2-9505403-3-3,
        so I don't know if it is still available. However I suggest you try
        Camden Miniature Steam Services, as I think they carried it:-

        www.camdenmin.co.uk

        Brian Rumary, England

        http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm
      • Paul Martin
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 14, 2001
          Having just spent the weekend at Boston Lodge hitting large pieces of
          metal until they resemble bits of a double fairlie I think Boston Lodge
          may be able to help.

          We have drawings for most engines and I believe this to include the K1
          although I have not personally looked for that one because at the moment
          the real thing is the bane of my life as the virtually complete chassis
          is cluttering up Boston Lodge awaiting its new boiler. It takes up a lot
          of space and is always in the way.

          If Brian would like to send a e-mail to the Chief Engineer Jon Whalley
          at Boston Lodge on wol@... copies may be made
          available as we have copying facilities and I believe the going rate for
          an A0 GA is a donation of £5.

          If graham want s to chase up permission to print the drawing he has got
          I would suggest an e-mail to martyn.knight@... might get
          permission to publish the drawings he sells [and he might flog you
          another]

          Hope this helps

          Paul Martin
          7mm NGA Membership Secretary
          ME2K project manager www.merddin-emrys.co.uk
        • lyle Hetsler
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 14, 2001
            You can find the k1 plans in Narrow Lines 94 page 17. Also a really good book by Dr. Christian CENAC K1 ist Garratt in Tasmania. The drawings are 1:48 but the plans that come with it are really detailed are 1:19 scale. The book maybe a bit expensive but well worth it. His address is Christian CENAC, 23 rue des Martyrs de la Liberation, 31400 Toulouse France. The book is in french and english so there is no worry about not getting the information. Plus the book has other information about the the North Dundas Tramway and other drawings of the cars and locomotives. I believe there is another book on the Hagans locomotive Same type of deal as the K1 book  and would have information and drawings about k1, but unsure of the title.
            Regards
            Lyle Hetsler
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
              Brian,
              There is a drawing in a prehistoric Model Railway News with a works photo from about the time it was released to the FR, I will see if I can find it and will send you a scanned copy by e-mail.
              It will not be a large file, otherwise it will cost a fortune to send.
              OK?
              Roger Brown

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
                Roger -

                That's the same drawing that appeared in the FR leaflet (it was 4mm, not 7mm
                as I'd thought, but I've enlarged it to 7mm) which I've already sent to
                Brian. It was about 1966/7, round about the time K1 went to Portmadoc (as
                it still was then). Sorry to pre-empt you!

                Cheers
                Graham
              • B.Rumary
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
                  B.Rumary wrote:
                  > The best source of plans for this loco is a set of drawings published
                  > as "K1 - 1st Garratt in Tasmania" by Dr Christian C�nac. These consist
                  > of a boxed set of 148 A3 size sheets of plans for the whole equipment
                  > of the Zeehan tramway in Tasmania where the loco worked. There are
                  > about 48 sheets on the K1, but also on the other locos, including the
                  > Hagans articulated, as well as the rolling stock. The plans of the K1
                  > are incredibly detailed and show just about everything you would need
                  > to build the thing full size, let alone in 7mm! However as I remember
                  > they were a bit pricey, being a very limited run item.

                  A follow on to my posting above. I forgot that the C�nac set consisted of
                  two items; a 164 page, A4-size softback book _plus_ the boxed set of
                  plans! The book has a history of the line, in English & French, with some
                  photos of the Garratt in York museum, and has some drawings from the set.
                  However these are 1:48 scale GA drawings, while the A3 sheets are bigger
                  and a lot more detailed. I am not sure if the book is available *without*
                  the separate plan set - is so this would be cheaper and would probably
                  have enough information for a 7mm scale model.

                  Incidentally Dr C�nac also did similar plan sets for the equipment 600mm
                  gauge field railways used by the French on the Western Front in WW1, and
                  one on the Jumelles rack railway in the Pyrenees. The book says that Dr
                  C�nac will accept credit cards and you can order these items from him at
                  the following address:-

                  Christian C�nac
                  23, rue des Martyrs de la Lib�ration
                  31400 Toulouse
                  France
                  Tel: 05 61 52 57 90

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
                    Lyle Hetsler wrote:
                    > I believe there is another book on the Hagans locomotive Same type
                    > of deal as the K1 book and would have information and drawings
                    > about k1, but unsure of the title.

                    This is not a separate book - the drawings for the Hagans loco (and
                    other locos and stock of the Tasmanian line) are all in the Cenac "K1"
                    book, although not quite as detailed as the Garratt plans.

                    Brian Rumary, England

                    http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm
                  • John Dennis
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 15, 2001
                      >Lyle Hetsler wrote:
                      >> I believe there is another book on the Hagans locomotive Same type
                      >> of deal as the K1 book and would have information and drawings
                      >> about k1, but unsure of the title.
                      >>
                      >This is not a separate book - the drawings for the Hagans loco (and
                      >other locos and stock of the Tasmanian line) are all in the Cenac "K1"
                      >book, although not quite as detailed as the Garratt plans.
                      >
                      >Brian Rumary, England

                      There is a book on the Hagan called:
                      Tasmania's Hagans, by Geoff Murdoch
                      and published by the author. A much slimmer volume (~70 A4 pages)

                      But that book won't help you build a K class.

                      John
                      John Dennis jdennis@...
                      Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
                      and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
                      Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optushome.com.au/duttonbay
                      WebX http://members.optushome.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html
                    • lyle Hetsler

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 16, 2001

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 16, 2001
                            I believe the  web site was through Miba in germany. It was one of the earlier postings on the group perhaps if you looked there you could find it again. Too bad we couldn't find out who constructed it and ask him for an article or If miba published it translate it and get clearance to publish it.
                            Lyle