RE: 7mm Narrow Gauge Garratts

  • mattjcoleman@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
      essage: 3
      Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:04:43 -0000
      From: "Charles Taylor-Nobbs" <charlestn@...>
      Charles,

      Thanks for your note. I didn't intend to indicate that the double-Fairlies were Garrats -- I just happen to have one of the Wrightlines kits and hope to finish it before I buy something even larger and more difficult to build! Someday -- when I am in retirement -- I actually hope to have some of these projects done!

      Thanks for then information on the "Origins of the Beyer_Garratt" book. I have the Beyer-Peacock book which has many B-G photos, but more is always better and I will search for the book.

      Matt Coleman

      Subject: Re: Re: 7mm Narrow Gauge Garratts

      For Garratt enthusiasts there is an excellent (although not cheap)
      40 page paperback at £8.95 from Plateway Press entitled
      "The Origins of the GARRATT LOCOMOTIVE" by Richard L. Hills. ISBN 1 871980
      437 pub, May 2000 and well worth it for the pictures alone.
      By the way the Fairlies were not strictly Garratts even though I still have
      one of Wrightlines kits to get to grips with one day.

      Charles TN

    • Charles Taylor-Nobbs
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2003
        Dear Matt,
        What on earth makes you think "Ill get round to it when I retire"?
        I've been trying for the last 14 years and still wonder how I ever managed
        to maintain a state of paid employment!
        The 168 hours at your disposal when you retire are just the same 168 hours
        you have now! It is the domestic authorities "can you just do this (or that)
        before before you disappear into your workshop? It will only take a
        minute!!" Those so called 'minutes' are a fair old slice of those 168 hours
        believe me! Charles