control

  • robert.J.fallis
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2001
      I've been looking round the web for a simple control circiut( is that spelt
      right} but all I get is fancy electoric and computor stuff. all I want is a
      simple diagram . to make a controler with speed control and forward and
      reverse.
      Can Somebody piont me in the right Direction ?
      thanks
      bob fallis
    • simply.chloe
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2001
        Robert,
        Dead simple, it is much less hassle to buy a controller from Modelex for
        about £20. These are excellent, don't have any feedback and work equally
        well on Portescaps, Anchoridge aand Mashimas.
        I used to build my own, but components became obsolete and their
        replacements were not so robust, even at the lower currents of modern
        motors.

        Details : Modelex
        23, Ashfield Court
        Middleton Hall Road
        Kings Norton,
        Birmingham B30 1AF

        Models MDXC1 & MDXC2 - one is hand held and the other panel mounting, but I
        forget which is which!

        If you still want to build your own from simple components, use the circuit
        from an article by Peter Warr in the March 1966 Model Railway News and
        substitute a 2N3055 transistor for the OC28/OC35 Power Transistor - forget
        the cut out and use a 10 watt car bulb to limit the current. On a dead short
        the bulb will light up and the current will be limited to less than 1 amp.
        If this proves unreliable, you can sustitute the 500 ohm pot with something
        a lot larger, say 10k and use a small transistor (BC103?) to feed the 2N3055
        as a kind of preamp. Don't forget the heat sink!

        I still have my controller that I built in 1966, but it is on its third
        transistor - I managed to get a small supply of OC35s a while ago, rescued
        from obsolete industrial discrete component circuit boards - no ICs as they
        were known then - chips with every thing today!

        Regards
        Roger Brown

        > I've been looking round the web for a simple control circiut( is that
        spelt
        > right} but all I get is fancy electoric and computor stuff. all I want
        is a
        > simple diagram . to make a controler with speed control and forward and
        > reverse.
        > Can Somebody piont me in the right Direction ?
        > thanks
        > bob fallis

      • Graham Spencer
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2001
          July 2001 "Continental Modeller" - P316.

          Graham