YAHOO and Us - A wake up call ?

  • Frank Savery
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2003
      G'Day Gentlemen,

      I wonder If you would be good enough to allow me to pinch a few minutes of
      your time and climb on my soapbox ?
      Thanks.

      As many of you will know, the 1300+ members of the 0n30conspiracy yahoo list
      recently got an unwelcome wake up call when they woke up one morning and
      discovered that close to 60MB of the groups photos and files had disapeared.
      Unfortunately, due to an oversight no warning had been given and this was
      the first thing they knew about it.

      Admittedly a proportion of it was rubbish or had passed it's use by date,
      but a lot was well worth preserving. Efforts are being made to recover some
      of it, some has been recovered and hopefully, in the coming months, we'll
      recover more from the original sources. But inevitably, a good percentage of
      it is gone forever and will never be seen again.

      This only effected the conspiracy members, but I think it should be taken as
      a wake- up call for all us members of Yahoo Groups. Even where the
      list-owner or moderator has a policy of deletion being the last resort, not
      one of us has the slightest influence on what YAHOO does or plans to do.

      Last week it was the 0n30conspiracy group, but what If tomorrow we woke up
      to find, maybe
      a) YAHOO has gone bust - all its computers are switched off and memory banks
      wiped ? or maybe,
      b)YAHOO decides it's FREE service is losing it too much money, and pulls the
      plug, or maybe
      c) YAHOO decides it's FREE service is losing it too much money and
      arbiteraly reduces each groups storage area by what ? 25% ? 50% ? 75% ? 95%
      ?

      Sounds far fetched ? But is it ? Have a think for a moment, but think with
      your business man's head NOT your modellers heart.

      As far as I know, YAHOO is not listed as a registered charity in the USA,
      So,
      One thing and one thing only drives YAHOO -
      $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

      Does YAHOO make a profit from its FREE service ?
      I don't think so. I think I've read they make substantial losses, but even
      If they make BIG profits, it counts for nothing in 2003.

      As an example, look at banks worlwide ~ making obscenely BIG profits from
      it's customers. ~ In theory the profitmakers should be falling over
      themselves to reward their customers with freebies, increasing services and
      reducing fee's to the barest minimums. Does it work out that way ?

      Surely, there must be a point in every business where losses become
      unbearable, and a point is reached where they pull the plug.

      Does it still sound far fetched ? To me, to be honest, scenarios similar to
      a), b) or c) above not only sound possible, I'd say they, or other BIG
      changes are inevitable, sooner or later.

      So, finally, the moral of all this is :
      There is ONLY ONE way to make sure that those model photos you plan to study
      next weekend are going to be there for you to look at ~
      DOWNLOAD them onto YOUR computer NOW ~ tomorrow may well be a day too late !

      Thank you for your time, Gentlemen,
      Have a good day,

      Frank Savery,
      Picking up his soapbox, tucking it under his arm and walking into the
      setting sun.

      PS - Sincerest apologies to those of you who get this hot air several times.