RE: [7mmnga] Tipping tippers.

  • FRANK SHARP
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2003
      I've spent part of today rubbing down filler on a car. It's a slow job
      and the mind wanders...in this case how to make tipper wagons work. I'm
      not familiar with the Gnomy's, but let's assume the tub can be pivoted
      in the centre at both ends. If the pivot can be arranged so that the tub
      is top heavy when full, and bottom heavy when empty then this should
      work. A shallow slot is cut in the bottom of the tub, running in line
      with the track. A piece of springy wire is made to naturally spring up
      into this slot, but a piece of steel, e.g. a steel nut is attached to
      it.

      Wagon is loaded, tub is top heavy, but the springy wire stops it
      tipping. Run it over an electro magnet and apply current. The magnetic
      attraction pulls on the nut and the springy wire pulls out of the slot.
      (similar idea as an Alex Jackson coupling) The tub, being top heavy now
      tips. It might be necessary to limit tipping to one side and slightly
      off set the balance of the tub so it tips as soon as the wire pulls out
      of the slot. When the tub is empty it should self right and when the
      power is turned of the springy wire slips back into the slot to lock it
      upright ready for the next load. The load will have to reasonably heavy,
      granite chippings rather than cork or ground nut kernels. The clever bit
      is that if you use steel axles and wheels the magnetic force pulls the
      chassis down onto the track and stops the whole wagon turning over.

      Just a thought...it just needs someone to sort out the practicalities,
      it won't be me, slate doesn't get tipped, even waste wasn't usually
      tipped sideways.

      Frank 1971, White Rose County.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2003
        Hi Frank
        Stick to rubbing down that car, your tipping idea sounds far to complicated,
        keep things simple.
        I went through various unsuccessful types of tipping and hopper wagons for
        my stone traffic, we use budgie grit actually.
        There were two major problems - How to get the wagon to tip without the
        whole wagon falling over and how to get the door to open automatically - did
        manage to solve both and on the Macclesfield Club layout "Hammeston" we now
        tip stone (Budgie grit) from narrow gauge wagons into standard gauge wagons
        very successfully.
        After messing about for some time I decided that a centreline pivoting wagon
        in model form
        would never be successful so I offset the pivot towards the side that the
        stone would be tipped. To get the door to open a rod appears out of the
        trackside and pushes the tub upwards, I suspended the door from an overhead
        beam so that when the three sided tub tipped the door would pivot outwards
        and allow the stone to flow out, once the tub is empty gravity will return
        it to its original position.
        Difficult to describe this but the door is held in place by a short length
        of wire bent to a L-shape, fastened into the tub floor and rising upwards to
        hold the door flush to the tub sides until the
        tub is raised from the rear, this being at the front moves in a downward
        movement and therefore releases the door. Would it help if I wrote this up
        for Narrow Lines with some photographs, not sure how to put photos or
        drawings onto this
        Yahoo lark.
        The second problem of stopping the whole wagon tipping over was overcome in
        two stages, first I mounted three tubs on one bogie wagon and this is what
        we use on Hammeston. I have now made a single tub wagon that has a chassis
        that can be "Locked" into position while the tub is tipped. The locking
        mechanism simply requires the wheels to run inside check rails and a short
        length of inverted brass L-angle mounted alongside the track so the wagon
        frame/chassis cannot lift and fall over.
        Very simple but it does work very successfully.
        Howard Clarke on the Staffordshire Moors
        215