Re: [7mmnga] Anglicising a Bachmann Porter

  • Vince Bradley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 2001
      Brian,
      Enjoyed your re-build very much. A few questions, how is the weight
      distribution, those Butler parts are very heavy. Having tried to remove
      lattering from the Bmann stuff with poor results, do you have any
      suggestions? I have built a cab based on the templates in 7mm Getting
      Started but it didn't look right on the chassie, are there any drawings
      of parts similar to Kay Butler's that could be used to build a cab out
      of styrene?
      Good show, Vincent

      brifayle@... wrote:

      > Greetings all you lurkers!
      >
      > I have doubled the number of folders in the files by adding another one
      > to my previous!
      >
      > You can see it at:

      > The whole thing I think is self explanatory if you wade through the
      > pictures. When I get some better lit photos of the #4 an article will
      > be speeding over the wires/cables/whatever to Graham, so you will be
      > able to read the details then.
      >
      > The parts for the cab are readily available from Kay Butler. Order
      > parts 40 - 49 and 60 if you want the driver.
      >
      > As an aside, the proper Porter in image number one proved to be a real
      > pain. One of the plunger pickups failed. To replace meant stripping the
      > beast down completely. Not for the faint hearted but not difficult if
      > someone paves the way. The 0n30 egroup files helped a lot there but
      > failed to mention that some force is needed to get the motor pried up
      > from it's clamps. When I took my courage in my hands it was a breese.
      > If anyone wants to strip their Porter for any reason get in touch with
      > me and I will guide you through. The new springs, incidentally, are the
      > small Kadee coupler ones!
      >
      > Aside number 2 - how do you get a wheel off an axle? It is time I
      > tackled my Dapol pugs with stripped plastic gears. Have the brass
      > replacements but haven't figured out how to get them on.
      >
      > Trust you are all enjoying a lovely summer. From what I see on BBCWorld
      > looks as thopugh it might be a bit damp. Have been following the Tour
      > de France - awesome stuff!
      >
      > Brian

    • Graham Spencer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 2001
        Like it, Brian - look forward to the article with all the gory details!

        Graham