Anglicising a Bachmann Porter

  • brifayle@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2001
      Greetings all you lurkers!

      I have doubled the number of folders in the files by adding another one
      to my previous!

      You can see it at:

      The whole thing I think is self explanatory if you wade through the
      pictures. When I get some better lit photos of the #4 an article will
      be speeding over the wires/cables/whatever to Graham, so you will be
      able to read the details then.

      The parts for the cab are readily available from Kay Butler. Order
      parts 40 - 49 and 60 if you want the driver.

      As an aside, the proper Porter in image number one proved to be a real
      pain. One of the plunger pickups failed. To replace meant stripping the
      beast down completely. Not for the faint hearted but not difficult if
      someone paves the way. The 0n30 egroup files helped a lot there but
      failed to mention that some force is needed to get the motor pried up
      from it's clamps. When I took my courage in my hands it was a breese.
      If anyone wants to strip their Porter for any reason get in touch with
      me and I will guide you through. The new springs, incidentally, are the
      small Kadee coupler ones!

      Aside number 2 - how do you get a wheel off an axle? It is time I
      tackled my Dapol pugs with stripped plastic gears. Have the brass
      replacements but haven't figured out how to get them on.

      Trust you are all enjoying a lovely summer. From what I see on BBCWorld
      looks as thopugh it might be a bit damp. Have been following the Tour
      de France - awesome stuff!

      Brian
    • Alan Rogers
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 2001
        Brian

        That's quite amazing! I have been tempted by a Bachmann Porter because of
        the good running that everybody raves about but I didn't really want any
        overtly US style stuff on my layout really. This opens up all world of
        possibilities.

        Alan Rogers
      • Scott Ziebell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19, 2001
          Greetings from one of the lurkers,

          Brian

          Your Anglo Porter is wonderful. Sort of reminds me of the WD Baldwins with their hybrid look.
          You have made a very belivable freelance loco. Also good job on the wagons..

          SZ

          brifayle@... wrote:

[...]

        • Vince Bradley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19, 2001
            Brian,
            Enjoyed your re-build very much. A few questions, how is the weight
            distribution, those Butler parts are very heavy. Having tried to remove
            lattering from the Bmann stuff with poor results, do you have any
            suggestions? I have built a cab based on the templates in 7mm Getting
            Started but it didn't look right on the chassie, are there any drawings
            of parts similar to Kay Butler's that could be used to build a cab out
            of styrene?
            Good show, Vincent

            brifayle@... wrote:

            > Greetings all you lurkers!
            >
            > I have doubled the number of folders in the files by adding another one
            > to my previous!
            >
            > You can see it at:

            > The whole thing I think is self explanatory if you wade through the
            > pictures. When I get some better lit photos of the #4 an article will
            > be speeding over the wires/cables/whatever to Graham, so you will be
            > able to read the details then.
            >
            > The parts for the cab are readily available from Kay Butler. Order
            > parts 40 - 49 and 60 if you want the driver.
            >
            > As an aside, the proper Porter in image number one proved to be a real
            > pain. One of the plunger pickups failed. To replace meant stripping the
            > beast down completely. Not for the faint hearted but not difficult if
            > someone paves the way. The 0n30 egroup files helped a lot there but
            > failed to mention that some force is needed to get the motor pried up
            > from it's clamps. When I took my courage in my hands it was a breese.
            > If anyone wants to strip their Porter for any reason get in touch with
            > me and I will guide you through. The new springs, incidentally, are the
            > small Kadee coupler ones!
            >
            > Aside number 2 - how do you get a wheel off an axle? It is time I
            > tackled my Dapol pugs with stripped plastic gears. Have the brass
            > replacements but haven't figured out how to get them on.
            >
            > Trust you are all enjoying a lovely summer. From what I see on BBCWorld
            > looks as thopugh it might be a bit damp. Have been following the Tour
            > de France - awesome stuff!
            >
            > Brian

          • Graham Spencer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 19, 2001
              Like it, Brian - look forward to the article with all the gory details!

              Graham