Re: Closure of the ListBot Service

  • alan@almeg.freeserve.co.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2001
      Thank you for the redirection. Very new in the game (since the AGM)
      and having now ploughed through the 190 previous messages
      highlighting the difficulties relating to outside frames, soldering
      and virus problems, think I might abandon the whole idea! But I
      might just try your suggestion some time back that a newbie should
      attempt a completely unmodified Peco model or two first - I might
      catch the same bug that the rest of you seem to be infected with and
      which produced the incredible models seen at the AGM.

      Serious but silly question from a beginner - to assist with layout
      planning - can someone please advise me of the sort of train length
      (inches) to be expected in 7mmNG/16.5 assuming a loco and couple of
      coaches? Would be grateful.

      Regards

      Alan Blake

      --- In 7mmnga@y..., "Alan Rogers" <models@d...> wrote:
      > To All Members
      > We have just received notification from Microsoft that they are to
      discontinue the free ListBot service with effect from 20th August
      this year. In time honoured fashion, they have offered us a
      subscription replacement but I have taken the liberty of deciding
      against accepting their generosity!

      > All future notices and special offers will be sent out on
      7mmNGA@Y... instead. If you not already a member of this group, which
      is also a valubale source of information from other members on narrow
      gauge modelling matters, now is the time to join. This is easily
      accomplished by going to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7mmnga and
      subscribing. You will need a Yahoo identity for this but they are
      pretty good at making the process largely painless.

      > We look forward to spreading plenty of information and good news on
      the 7mmNga@Y... list and apologise for any inconvenience caused by
      the enforced change of venue.

      > Alan Rogers
      > Association Postmaster (Unofficial)
      > 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
    • Alan Rogers
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2001
        In short, the Peco coaches come out at 3½" and a simple 0-4-0 locomotive at
        4" so a loco and two coaches is about 1' long.

        Hope this helps and, despite being Sales Officer (Modelling Goods), I am a
        totally novice modeller and started out in just exactly the manner that you
        describe.

        Good luck

        Alan Rogers
      • Graham Spencer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24, 2001
          Hi Alan

          Welcome to the slightly insane but very friendly world of 7mm NG! Your
          question - the answer, I'm afraid, is much like that to "How long is a piece
          of string?" However, on the assumption that you're thinking of a 4-coupled
          loco & a couple of 4-wheelers, you're probably looking at 11-12 inches;
          bogie coaches vary enormously in length, but a 6-coupled loco and a couple
          of average-length (whatever that means) bogies will probably occupy about
          double that - perhaps a little less. (Now at least half a dozen people will
          post to disagree with me!) Hope this helps - best of luck, and don't
          hesitate to ask again if you get stuck.

          Graham