Any Heritage Railways in Eastern France

  • joppyuk1@sky.com
    Message 1 of 22 , May 20 11:58 AM
      We have had a family group of caravanners (3 vans/6 people) in France last few days, with two weeks still to go. I'm getting railway withdrawal symptoms (as a non-drinker there are only so many 'caves' and wine tasting I can stomach so am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a French heritage railway - preferably NG - in the area Mulhouse, over near the German border. I do have five non-interested parties to satisfy, though.
      Thanks for any suggestions.
      I.Jopson (515)
    • Roy Wood
      Message 2 of 22 , May 20 1:31 PM
        HiIf you are anywhere near Mulhouse, the French National Railway Museum and Schlumph collections are both an absolute must. If you have an iPad or iPhone they have very good free Apps too
        Have fun
        Roy Wood

        Message 3 of 22 , May 21 1:05 AM
          Hi
          Using my copy of 'The Essential Guide to French Heritage and Tourist Railways' ,try Chemin de Fer Forestier d'Abreschviller(ACFA) which is 50km west of Strasbourg. It is an unusual gauge, almost unique being 700mm. Seems to operate weekends.  website here http://train-abreschviller.fr/

          There are quite a few railway related attractions in the area, given its connections to mining and industry. Some WW1 and other military places such as Maginot line

          SOW a Seed

          Save
          Our
          World

          GREEN not GREED

          Simon Dawson

          http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

          Message 4 of 22 , May 22 8:11 AM

            Collective Wisdom,

            Has anyone tried this system. I bought a starter kit and a set of Smartfrog polarity switchers. Having spent several days wiring and adding diodes to show how the points are set I'm now trying to set up each servo.

            I find that having used the programmer to find the centre position, added the tie bar activation wire the motor either overloads before the turnout moves, or doesn't go to the set point the next time. I remove the servo and find that the centre position has moved, though I don't think the arm has slipped on the spindle. It says not to over tighten the screw, and if you do the self taper spreads the shaft and the motor binds. I'm rapidly coming to the opinion that I've wasted time and money.

            Advice please though I'm already looking at abandoning the whole lot and going Tortoise or Cobalt. As LAST resort I still have a shoe box full of H&M and Codar from 40 years ago.

            Frank

          • diggypatch
            Message 5 of 22 , May 22 11:27 AM

              Hello Frank!

              I have 3 of the new version and one of the previous issue and they have all worked correctly. I bought mine from ANE before Peco (and others) started to import them and double the price! When the new version was issued it did not have updated instructions - eventually I got some stuff from f===book and the ANE website! As to your problem with the moving setpoint, did you go through the selector button positions to save the settings? If not the system will not have saved the settings and may get a bit random!

              I can't find a way of adding an attachment to this reply so I will attempt to send the info I have directly.

              Good luck and don't give up on this system yet, Robert in a wet, widy and thundery Gloucestershire.

              No. 2823

            • Ron Houghton
              Message 6 of 22 , May 22 1:44 PM
                Frank,

                Is this the new Smartswitch system for DCC?

                Cheers

                Ron

                To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 22 , May 22 2:21 PM

                  Robert,

                  As far as I can tell I've done everything as I should.

                  What I cannot deal with is that having put the servo into the L state, that for those not into servos should put the servo in mid stroke, I then go to the programming bit and make the limits of swing quite close to mid stroke. Once I've installed the wire I can increase the throw either way to get the point to go fully across. Sometimes it doesn't step at all, and if I remove the wire and go back to L it doesn't go to the same mid stroke position.

                  If I use the larger screws for fixing the arm to the shaft, then if I tighten it in far enough so the arm won't come off the splines I think I swell the shaft, then maybe it sticks. If I use the small screw it gets virtually no hold or strips the shaft.

                  The other snag I've found is that the arm doesn't move from side to side, it prescribes an arc. That means that depending on whether the swing is below the shaft or above the wire either sticks up a long way through the point at either end of the throw and virtually drops out of the tie bar hole in the mid stroke or vice versa.

                  I had hoped that this not new, but new to me technology would be progress, but so was the much vaunted  memory wire.

                  Funny enough only last week a friend was saying that though he'd had them come loose, fail to move a sticky point, in 100 exhibitions over 10 or more years he'd never burnt out a simple Peco point motor.

                  Is Slippery Sid still on the go?

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 22 3:27 PM

                    Yes Ron, but I'm not using DCC, that requires yet another add on board, I am using the frog switching Smartfrog, or was, they are another £10 per point.

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 22 3:44 PM

                      Robert,

                      I'll look when someone lets me in. BT are going their own way not a sub Yahoo. For some reason I have to have a Yahoo address to access the files. I've sorted that and in effect have to rejoin the group with a new address. More modern technology.

                      Frank (aka Victor Meldrew?)

                      Until today I've had this test track, because that's all I'm wiring, outside in the sun. Now of course when I need that space to get to both sides with it stood on end I'm squeezing to get past it in the shed.

                    • chris peacock
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 23 9:51 AM
                        Frank

                        So far you are the second person who I have heard of that is having problems with this system. The other person has actually abandoned using them, but in his case the arguement was regarding the amount of wiring involved.

                        I do know of some-one (outside the claims of the www) that has actually implemented a working servo based control system for his layout. Only this time being an electronics engineer he designed and built it himself. He does however use MUCH bigger servos. I believe those supplied are too small for the job.

                        Sorry stick to more tried and tested methods, Fulgerex or Tortoise (with added polarized relays) is my advice.

                        As a story my new layout (Calstock's Halton Quay) uses rod mechanisms under the baseboard, and I already have problems with them. The layout hasn't done its first show yet!

                        As an aside use the servos just  for the signals, much less strain on the motor.

                        Cheers
                        Chris

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 23 3:19 PM

                          Chris,

                          Never has a simple test track with a couple of loops caused so much hassle.

                          Having sent three days outside laying track and wiring in the servos I'm now trying to sort it all in a shed where I have to wait for a lull in the rain to take it outside to turn it round. One of the reasons I'd gone servo was limited space under the board, so I've now ordered some Cobalts. I have one and I've had to cut some framing away to get that in, so no chance Tortoise, Fulgarex, Lemco etc. Even with bi-coloured LEDs on the panel, and running separate feeds where on a system two wires would be a ring return I only need to run 5 wires to each Cobalt, plus the frog switching which is of course local to the point.

                          I think you are right about the servos lacking power, I might try them as you suggest for signals. I was wondering how to make a bar and disc rotate, direct onto the servo shaft might work.

                          At least the Cobalt instructions have been written by someone who actually knows what he's doing, even if it's cost me a fortune in ink and paper to print it out.

                          Frank

                          ._,___

                        • ianj0trains
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 24 3:26 AM

                            Hi Frank,

                            Ever thought about wire in a tube ?

                            Cheers

                            Ian J

                            (Ducks behind parapet to await incoming........... )

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 24 5:12 AM

                              Ian,

                              Even the finger from on high, but I am a sucker for new ideas.

                              Frank

                              (Ducks behind parapet to await incoming........... )

                            • Roy And Dunja
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 24 5:24 AM
                                ......... Or memory wire which is my preferred method.
                                Regards
                                Roy Wood

                                Sent from my iPad

                                On 24 May 2014, at 11:26, "ianajng@... [7mmnga]" <7mmnga@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                Hi Frank,

                                Ever thought about wire in a tube ?

                                Cheers

                                Ian J

                                (Ducks behind parapet to await incoming........... )

                              • Brian Lunn
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 26 10:23 AM

                                  Frank

                                  I bought 2 sets to play with for powering accessories, signals, etc. but holidays have got in the way.

                                  Will let you know how I get on when I get back.

                                  Regards

                                  Brian

                                • oztrainz
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 27 6:40 AM
                                    Hi Frank,
                                    Sorry but I'm a bit late to the party on this one. I use the earlier ANE Switchmaster board to drive the tipple and the points on the kickback siding at the foot of my model of the Corrimal Colliery Incline in 7mm

                                    The board may be susceptible to electronic noise that can cause false triggering.  The red switches controlling the kickback points actually get  2 magnetic pulses as the magnet goes past. We have used some electronics to damp out the second pulse and trigger on the leading edge of the first pulse to control a relay that feeds a "clean" signal to the ANE control board. That fixed the noise problem and false triggering we were having on the kickback points.

                                    Not sure if this helps - also look at the mode you have selected, one acts a push-button, the other way acts as a fixed switch. Try both and you may get one mode that works better than the other,
                                    Regards,
                                    John Garaty
                                    Unanderra in oz

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 27 7:31 AM

                                      John,

                                      Thanks, an interesting system, is the truck moved by a magnet under the track?

                                      I think I've mentioned using screened cable with a DCC shuttle trigger. I tried magnet/reed relay on another shuttle and found that not 100% reliable. I switched to Heathcote's IRDOTs and they never double trigger and never miss. Worth every penny of the £6 for 6 I gave at a swapmeet!

                                      I'm going Cobalt for the moment, but will sit down with the Switchmaster again, not installed, just on the workbench and see what's what.

                                      Frank

                                      ,___

                                    • diggypatch
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 27 7:36 AM

                                        Hello all!

                                        Try this link to find out all about reed switches and the best way to use magnets to avoid double pulses etc.

                                        It helped to sort out my problem with double pulses during the approach of a magnet in my turntable control system!

                                        http://dkc1.digikey.com/us/en/tod/Meder/Reed-Switch-Magnet-Interaction/Reed-Switch-Magnet-Interaction.html

                                        Good luck from Robert in an 'overcast' Gloucestershire! No.2823

                                      • oztrainz
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 27 1:57 PM
                                          Hi Frank,
                                          Yes, If you look at First Coal on the Corrimal Colliery Incline model

                                           and combine it with the first video link, you should get an idea of what we are attempting. The Corrimal incline was a self-acting continuous rope incline that has one track always "heavy" with loaded skips going downhill attached individually to and dotted along the haulage rope and the other track being "light" with empty skips returning uphill. For this type of incline the rope does not change direction. The model is running a 1 in 4 grade.

                                          The 2' gauge prototype was built in 1890 and demolished in 1955. My best online reference for photos of Corrimal system has disappeared with the closure of the Corrimal cokeworks in April this year.

                                          Regards,
                                          John Garaty
                                          Unanderra in oz

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 5, 2014

                                            I'm on our stand,  No.20 main hall with John Ward on Saturday and Bernard Mooney on Sunday. Will members please make yourselves known and sign our visitors book.

                                            I will also take Mervyn Axson Award voting slips for those too mean to post them.

                                            Frank

                                          • Brian Rumary
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 12, 2014
                                              On 21/05/2014 09:05, Simon rue_d_etropal@... [7mmnga] wrote:
                                              > It is an unusual gauge, almost unique being 700mm.

                                              Probably a unique gauge in France, but it was used quite a lot in the
                                              Netherlands (and Indonesia). I think it was also used for some Austrian
                                              military field railways (Rollbahnen) in WW1.

                                              --
                                              Brian Rumary
                                              England
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 12, 2014
                                                Its location in France is I gather one reason for its gauge, and yes I meant unique in France.

                                                Simon