Re: Telegraph wire

  • Roger Whiffin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16 1:52 PM

      If my memory serves me well ....
      If the wire was the same as the GPO used would have been either 40lb/mile for local or 80 lb/mile for trunk circuits.
      Not sure what that would scale down to for 7mm/ft.
      However, I do know of someone that did it in 4mm using wire from an old GPO 80v relay coil, and yes - you could hardly see it.
      RogerW

          From: David Woodcock
      1b. Re: Telegraph Wire
          From: Stephen Holland

      Messages
      1a. Re: Telegraph Wire
          Posted by: "David Woodcock" dandewoodcock@... woodcockdavid
          Date: Thu May 15, 2014 5:20 am ((PDT))

      Look at old b/w photographs of railways back in the age when they had proper telegraph line routes alongside them, and notice that, although the poles are very visible, the wires themselves rarely were. When you realise that scale wires would only be around 0.1mm in diameter in 7mm scale, that is hardly surprising.

      Save yourself a lot of work - and heartbreak - leave the wires to the imagination.

      What might be worthwhile is adding the much thicker guy wires to poles where appropriate, usually with a tightening shackle.

      David Woodcock

      Messages in this topic (11)
      1b. Re: Telegraph Wire
          Posted by: "Stephen Holland" stephen@... holland590
          Date: Thu May 15, 2014 12:45 pm ((PDT))

      If you are going to string the wires up on the pole route the telephone and carrier pairs need to be transposed along the run to eliminate cross talk. That is why the wires appeared to rotate when viewed from the train window. I have the details of how to arrange the transposition somewhere in one of my old BR training books if you really want to be masochistic!
      Stay wires for the poles were usually at the end of the run, or on the outside of curves to stop the weight and tension on the line wires pulling the poles inwards.
      From memory the pole spacing was 55 yards, but could be a bit more or a bit less depending on local circumstances. At least that is what happened on the old LM region.

      Regards

      Steve

      On 15 May 2014, at 13:20, David Woodcock dandewoodcock@... [7mmnga] <7mmnga@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Look at old b/w photographs of railways back in the age when they had proper telegraph line routes alongside them, and notice that, although the poles are very visible, the wires themselves rarely were. When you realise that scale wires would only be around 0.1mm in diameter in 7mm scale, that is hardly surprising.
      >
      > Save yourself a lot of work - and heartbreak - leave the wires to the imagination.
      >
      > What might be worthwhile is adding the much thicker guy wires to poles where appropriate, usually with a tightening shackle.
      >
      > David Woodcock

      Messages in this topic (11)

      This group is:
      1 - for people interested in modelling narrow gauge railways in 7mm:1ft scale or thereabouts
      2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
      3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association committee

      <*> Your email settings:
          Digest Email  | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)