Getting started Bogie Coach

  • Tony Davis
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2013

      I am planning on building 3 of the Getting Started Bogie Coaches to run on an as yet unbuilt layout. Could anybody tell me the minimum radius suitable please? I will be using Kadee couplings

      Regards

      Tony

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2013

        Tony,

        I've made similar length scratch built vans.

        You are going to use Ratio bogies I assume. You want a piece of Peco minimum radius set track. Work upside down, resting the track on the bogies. Fit the bogies at least temporarily in place and set the underfames wide enough to clear.  I'd use long reach Kadees, but it does depend on where you set the bogie pivots. Near the ends might mean you can use standard length Kadee but to for the bogies to turn enough to clear the frames the frames will need to be further apart. Moving the pivots towards the centre reduces the amount of turn you need in the bogies but increases the end swing so then you'll need the long Kadees. My long vans go round Peco minimum radius set track reverse curves, I try to make everything to that standard as a worst possible scenario.

        One tip, lay some thin narrow microstrip (half round Evergreen 1mm is ideal) on the bogie pivots either side of the pin. One bogie it runs across the bogie, on the other along the coach length. The bogie can then move side to side on the latter and it compensates for slightly twisted track,  The other end only pitches fore and aft, allows for changes in gradient but should stop the coach rocking. I don't use the Ratio cross members but Evergreen rectangular box section, makes up a lot stronger bogie.

        Frank

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2013
          Frank -

          thanks for this, it answers my question in a way I hadn't even thought about. It's really helpful

          regards

          Tony

          --

          Rompiendo la monotonia del tiempo

        • Howard Clarke
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 15, 2013
            Hi Tony
            My recommendation is to use the individual coach side parts from PECO NOT the early twin compartment coach sides.
            If you calculate that each single coach side part is one unit then my bogie coaches are 15 units long and operate comfortably around a 3-foot radius curve (The radius of a PECO 0n16.5 point) using Kadee couplings, but note coaches will not recouple on a curve of 3-foot only on almost straight track.
            Wrote an article some time ago for Narrow Lines on coach construction using the PECO parts, if you are stuck email me back and will look it up and send you a copy.
            Happy modelling
            Howard 215
            I am planning on building 3 of the Getting Started Bogie Coaches to run on an as yet unbuilt layout. Could anybody tell me the minimum radius suitable please? I will be using Kadee couplings

            Regards

            Tony

          • Ryk Parkinson

              I am planning on building 3 of the Getting Started Bogie Coaches to run on an as yet unbuilt layout. Could anybody tell me the minimum radius suitab le please? I will be using Kadee couplings

              Regards

              Tony

            • ian_pither
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 16, 2013

                Could you please quote the Narrow Lines number.

                Thanks - Ian Pither